I Have Tummy Tuck Concerns

I'm interested in having a tummy tuck.. I am 5'6 and 160lbs. I'm a mother of twins (C-Section). I have loose skin, stretch marks & gut. I know its usual to have both a tummy tuck & liposuction. But what is recovery time for the tummy tuck w/o lipo? How much weight would should I lose before a tummy tuck w/o lipo? Also How noticeable will the tummy tuck scar be. Finally I've seen some belly buttons that look strange and some not be centered correctly. Is this a common issue?

Tummy tuck questions

+2

You arean ideal candidate for a tummy tuck. There is along scar involved as well as a scar around the belly button. There are a number of different ways to deal with the belly button. In general, I prefer to keep it on the small side. I think they look better when they are kept small. You can also have lipo of other areas at the same time, but it is not absolutely necessary in your case.

What is a Tummy Tuck? Am I a good Candidate?

+2

Thanks you for your question. Based on your photos and history of twins by c section you appear to be a reasonable candidate for an abdominoplasty. A tummy tuck removes the fat and skin from the lower abdomen.

You should also ask your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about the rectus plication. After twins your muscles separate and the internal bulge of your abdomen accentuates the bulging of your outer skin. Its important to address this issue during your procedure. 

Tummy tucks will not remove the stretch marks but will make them lower on your abdominal wall and should be less noticeable.

Your weight should be stable and at your baseline. If you plan on loosing 20lbs then loose the weight and maintain it prior to your abdominoplasty. Many patients come in looking for an abdominoplasty to "jump start" their weight lose. It should be the reverse. You should get to your healthy base weight and then have surgery to remove the loose skin.

The scar is longer than your c section scar and portions of it might be seen above your underwear. As long as you dont have scar issue such as Keloid, hypertrophic scaring it should be similar to your c section scar. Many scars stay red and raised for up to one year and that is typically normal. Keep the scar out of the sunlight for optimal scar appearance. Massage and silicone sheeting are also commonly used to improve the scar.

Its possible for the belly button to be off midline but isnt common. Talk to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about those concerns.

Below is a video of a Tummy tuck and rects plication. You can see the importance of addressing the internal structures as well as the skin.

W. Thomas McClellan, MD, FACS
Morgantown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck questions

+2

Based on your photos, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck with or without liposuction.  Everyone heals at different rates but typically recovery can be anywhere from 4-6 weeks with no strenuous activity.  You will be walking hunched over for the first week or so but should be walking in the upright position soon after.  The scar is low and should end up below your bathing suit line but it can vary depending on how you heal, so keep in mind that you may need a little in-office scar revision after you are healed.  Your weight should be stable and able to be maintained.  A skilled board certified plastic surgeon should have enough experience to make sure your belly button is where it originally was (not off to the right or left) and has a natural appearance.  You should have a nice result, just make sure to give yourself enough time to heal and don't rush it.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck concerns

+2

Thank you for your question.  It does appear as though you'll get a beautiful result from a tummy tuck.  Having done a lot of them, I usually combine them with liposuction of the flanks to get a nice contour of the midsection.  I also keep the scar nice and low in the bikini line.  The recovery is 1-2 weeks with pain well controlled by oral pain medications.  For the tummy tuck, I make them small like a nice almond shape to give them the best possible appearance.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Concerns #tummytuck

+2

I have twins! So, tummy tuck with liposuction of the tummy does not really add much at all to the recovery time. If it is done in other areas like the flanks or thighs then you may have additional soreness to contend with. You look like you would have a great result in the correct hands. You would likely need some muscle tightening and excess skin removal. As for the belly button. That part is so specific to the surgeon. Some look great, some don't. Look at before and after photos of your surgeon and decide if you like the belly button. Pretty straight forward. The scar is usually hip to hip for a full abdominoplasty and should be hidden in the bikini line but will be able to be seen when out of a bikini by yourself.

Richard J. Brown, MD

TT Concerns

+2

Wait till your weight has stabilized and then go for it, you're a good candidate for it if you're sure you're done having kids. The scar will depend on the quality of your surgeons suturing and equally on your own heredity since hypertrophic, keloid and hyperpigmented scars are from your own unique healing. No one can guarantee the perfect scar, only their best effort at perfect stitches! Use compression therapy post-op for your own best scar.

I agree that some belly buttons look better than others. You should ask to see as many pictures of your surgeons work as possible to be sure his/her vision meets your expectations. As far as liposuction goes, you could have an excellent result without lipo or perhaps a little at the waist/hip area but it will not affect your recovery. The tummy tuck is the limiting factor in your recovery. 2 weeks to return to a sedentary job would be average, 6 weeks to unresticted activity.

One study showed that less than 1/3 of belly buttons are centered before tummy tuck. There are ways to premark you so that it comes out where it started but sometimes they are and will be a little off center because of your starting anatomy. Discuss that with your surgeon specifically if it is a concern. Best of luck, if you are realistic you should be thrilled with your results!

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Tummy tuck scars, belly buttons, and liposuction

+2

You photos show that you would be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  The scar should be low on your abdomen, just above the pubic area. A skilled surgeon will not leave you with an asymmetric belly button.  I personally avoid liposuction of the trunk when performing a tummy tuck due to increased swelling and prolonged recovery.  I prefer to wait until the scar has matured and then do lipo with any needed scar touch-up.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and be sure to review a comprehensive portfolio pf pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge your surgeon's expertise and get a good idea of the type of results that are reasonable to expect.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Tummy Tuck With Lipo Concerns

+2

It sounds like you have been giving some thought to your tummy tuck.  These are all good questions.  And thank you for including photos.  They are very helpful.

The recovery time for a tummy tuck generally is about 6 weeks.  The tummy tuck involves removing extra skin and fat, and also involves moving the muscles back to the midline.  The muscle part requires about 6 weeks of limited activity to allow healing.

Weight loss is a tougher question to answer.  You should always aim for an ideal weight but more important is that you are at a stable weight.  Starving yourself to achieve an artificially low weight prior to you procedure won't give you a better result.

The scar is long.  Fortunately it can be kept low, inside your panty or swimsuit lines.  You will notice it but others won't be able to see it.

The umbilicus usually ends up in the middle.  Although it can be an issue it typically looks fine.

Take some time and find a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consult.  You have a good shape for a tummy tuck and I think you would be delighted.  Good luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD

Tumm tuck

+2

From the description and photos, you may be a candidate for tummy tuck/liposuction. The best time to undergo abdominoplasty would be at least a year after giving birth to your children and when you have approached your ideal weight. During tummy tuck I almost always perform liposuction, tighten up the abdominal muscles and remove excess skin. If your c section was done through a transvers incision, the same incision could be extended to either side ( hip to hip). You need 6 weeks recovery time before you return to your routine life.    

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck, lipo and bellybutton concerns

+2

Thank you for your inquiry and photos, you are an excellent candidate for the tummy tuck and lipo combination. It seems to me that you don't need to loose any weight and regularly the tummy tuck scar is barely visible after a few months. The bellybutton outcome, when preformed by a certified plastic surgeon with enough experience should have a natural looking result. Best wishes, Dr. Ricardo Vega.

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon