Is It OK to Blow my Nose After 3 Weeks of Rhinoplasty?

It's been 3 weeks and a day after my surgery, i asked my doctor before (2 weeks post-op) if i can blow my nose normally, and he said yes, 2day i did for the first time and it kinda stung and hurted a little close to the nostrils, is it nothing to worry about?/how strong is the nose after 3 weeks?

Noseblowing after rhinoplasty

+2

The simple answer to your question is, always ask your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. I generally tell my patients that gentle nose blowing after three weeks is fine, but always mist the nose well with saline first so that the crusts are soft and loose. A little tenderness at first is normal, but use the sensitivity as a guide as to how gently to blow and don't do it if it hurts. It does take at least 4-6 weeks for the nasal bones to heal solidly.

Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blowing Nose 3 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

I tell my patients they can blow their noses 3 weeks after rhinoplasty, but there are limitations. They cannot put any pressure on the sides of their nose when blowing; admittedly this is a little frustrating because they cannot build up pressure in the nose and therefore it is not as effective. I tell them to wait for 6 weeks after surgery before they can blow the nose normally.

Is It Okey to Blow my Nose After 3 Weeks of Rhinoplasty?

+1

No, IMHO I instruct all my Rhinoplasty patients not to blow their noses for at least 3-4 months after the Rhinoplasty however, you should follow the post op instructions from your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Be gentle with your nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Elymercy

• Your nose is gaining strength every day after your rhinoplasty, but the bones have not become solid for at least 6 weeks.
  •  you could simply use nasal saline sprays instead of blowing the nose.
  • Keeping your mouth open while sneezing or coughing can help as well. 

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon