Oily Skin Around Eyes - will Laser Blepharoplasty Help?

I have a severly oily complexion around my eyes ( lower and upper lids ) .. I don't wear make up on cuz it simply streaks and i can't wear sunglasses neither becoz it makes my skin even produce more oil !! I do also suffer from excess skin on upper eyelid .. it just makes my entire eye look nasty .. would laser blepharoplasty cure both of my eye appearance problem? p.s :- I'm considering going under a tretinoin/hydroquinone peel ... will it help ?

+1

Regarding: "Oily Skin Around Eyes - will Laser Blepharoplasty Help?
I have a severly oily complexion around my eyes ( lower and upper lids ) .. I don't wear make up on cuz it simply streaks and i can't wear sunglasses neither becoz it makes my skin even produce more oil !! I do also suffer from excess skin on upper eyelid .. it just makes my entire eye look nasty .. would laser blepharoplasty cure both of my eye appearance problem? p.s :- I'm considering going under a tretinoin/hydroquinone peel ... will it help
?"

Sometimes the BEST solution is to do NOTHING. Lasers have multiple functions but at their basic core they apply a beam of extreme heat which vaporizes tissues. When the tissue is PARTIALLY vaporized it heals with a tighter smoother complexion. When the skin is completely vaporized (IE full-thickness) we have a full-thickness burn which will NOT heal in an attractive fashion and which requires reconstructive surgery.

Oily skin is best handled with topical skin preparations which change the extent of oil production. If anyone offers you a laser "treatment" for oil production, collect your belongings and start running away as fast as you can.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Laser around the eyes

+1

Laser around the eyes ( light Erbium or CO2 fraxel ) is an excellent way to remove excess eye skin and wrikles. However just like surgery, complications can arise if it is not done correctly. Once again it should be done by a surgeon with lots of laser experience and also someone who has done lots of traditional skin excision blepharoplasties. As for the oily skin problem you simply have to work with a dermatologist or someone else who can prescribe the best topical treatments for your individual problem.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin A may have a drying effect on lower eyelid skin

+1

If your skin is excessively oily in the lower eyelid area then you may benefit from products with vitamin A.  These tend to have a drying effect.  Retin-A would be a reasonable choice to try for a few months and follow the results.  I would avoid any types of laser or chemical peel for now as these could cause additional problems.  

Oily skin

+1

I would begin with tretinoin with or without hydroquinone.  Hydroquinone in combination with tretinoin and kojic acid are used as bleaching agents to even the skin tone and reduce hyperpigmentation. Tretinoin is a vitamin A derivative. It works in s few ways: First, it increases the cell/skin turnover rate, and second, it boosts collagen synthesis. Because of these things it has many uses in dermatology. It helps improve the appearance of fine wrinkles, it helps eliminate hyperpigmentation, or color differences in the skin and diminishes acne.  It also helps to dry out oily skin.  Its a good place to start. More invasive treatments should be reserved for failure of conservative treatments.

Jason R. Hess, MD

Laser is unlikely to benefit you.

+1

You may not like your oily skin now but thick sebaceous skin like you are describing hold up well over time.  Much better in fact than thinner skin that produces less oil.  Be careful of those who will sell you snake oil to "cure" your problems.  Avoid solutions that are worse then the problem.