Can Oily Skin Have Damaged my Rhinoplasty Results?

My surgeon told me to keep my cast on 7 days after surgery. By day 4 i felt that the cast is loose. I went to him on day 7 and after removing my cast he was shocked as to how oily my skin is. My nose was huge and swollen from top to the tip. Its been 4 months now and it is still swollen. Can it be from loose cast? is it because i didn't sleep with my head elevated after surgery and neither was i instructed to take any anti-inflammatory, or calcium supplements etc?? Please help.

Oily Skin and Rhinoplasty Results

+3

Oily skin will not damage rhinoplasty results but in severe cases may limit what can can be achieved. Thick skin can mask the fine contour of the underlying bones and cartilages. The good news is that results in patients with your skin will continue to improve for at least 12-18 months.

Rhinoplasty results in patients with oily skin

+2

Other than your daily skin regimen there is nothing you can do about oily skin. Excess oil on your skin after rhinoplasty surgery is typical. It is normal to be swollen considerably even four months after the surgery. This swelling in your nose has nothing to do with a loose cast or your sleeping and head positions. Anti-inflammatory medications or supplements are not going to help. The only thing that could help at this point would be to try Blenderm tape, which can be applied at night across the bridge of the nose and the supratip area of the nose. Cortisone shots to the supratip area may help to decrease the swelling and edema.

Oily skin have damaged my rhinoplasty .

+1

Simple answer is NO! Sounds like your result is of a small improvement. You may need a revision after another 2 months.

Best of Luck from MIAMI Dr. B

Thick Oily Skin and Recovery From Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Rhinoplasty in patients with thick oily skin takes longer for the ultimate results to show.  This is especially true for teens.  It may take a year to even 3 years for your results to show.  There is nothing that you did or could have done to have changed your recovery.  Be patient.  Sometimes strategically placed Kenalog injections can speed the process along. 

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Results take longer to see in patients with thick skin

+1

It really does take a year or more to see the final result from rhinoplasty, especially in patients with thick skin. Patients often don't believe this, which is why I take photos at 6 weeks, 6 months then one and two years post-op to demonstrate these changes. Excessive swelling right after surgery will not affect the end result but may indicate that you may need to wait longer to see your final nose.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty Swelling Due To Oily Skin?

+1

This is a difficult question to answer, but one thing I can say is that the splint falling off after 4 days did not contribute to you having more swelling.  I would not worry about that.  When you have really oily skin, this often means that the skin is thicker on the nose.  Because of this, the tissues can swell more after surgery, and the nose does not do very well with swelling.  It has a hard time getting rid of sweling and can take quite a long time. There are some massage techniques that people try to help alleviate edema in the nose, and is worth asking your surgeon about.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty in thick oily skin

+1

Patients that have oily skin often have thick skin.  Thick skin tends to mask the underlying changes made during a rhinoplasty, and often swelling can take a bit longer to resolve.  Don't worry about what you did.  Your nose will continue to improve for a full year after surgery. 

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon