What is the Best Choice for my Dimpled Belly? (photo)

Seven years ago I had liposuction for my stomach. Five years ago I had a total hysterectomy. I have gained seven pounds in seven years. My stomach looks terrible and was wondering what options I have to help rid it of the dimples and loose uneven skin. Question, if I had abdominoplasty, would the cellulite still be present with a flatter stomach? If I went on a strict diet would the cellulite still be present? I am 5 ft tall, 125 lbs, 49 year old female. What is the best choice for me?

Dimples in the skin after liposuction

+2

Hi,

You have a common complaint after abdominal liposuction and it is very difficult to completely resolve it with more liposuction. The skin has contracted irregularly and has deep scar tissue which limits the efficacy of suction alone. Probably you need some type of abdominal skin tightening procedure such as a lower or even full abdominoplasty.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Dimples after liposuction

+2

Dimples and indentations after liposuction are often a sign of poor skin elasticity, though can also be a hallmark of a poor result. Careful exam will help determine if the areas can be improved with a secondary suctioning or fat grafting to smooth in the contour. A tummy tuck can also be a solution if skin laxity is the issue.

Options for cellulite on stomach

+2

Based on your photos, it looks like you have some cellulite on your abdomen. Cellulite can be a tough problem to address.  If you are a candidate for tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck (it is hard to tell from your photos because your jeans are on), the abdominal skin will be pulled taut which will lessen the appearance of the cellulite.  I'm not sure that you actually have enough loose skin to warrant an abdominoplasty, in which case you could consider liposuction, although this may not improve your cellulite either.  Weight loss could be an option - especially if you did not have cellulite prior to weight gain.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Dimpled Belly after Liposuction

+1

A dimpled belly after liposuction may respond well to tummy tuck and freeing of scar tissue from underneath the flap.  It will take a plastic surgeon with creative tactics with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures and tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Several issues are present

+1

Thank you for the photos.  It appears that you have irregularity secondary to liposuction.  There is also some irregularity secondary to soft-tissue laxity (think of it like cellulite of the abdomen).  Your best result will likely be achieved by a combination of liposuction of the entire abdomen and waist as well as abdominoplasty.  Your current belly button location may not fall into the area that will be removed but it can be closed as a small vertical incision and it will be somewhere close to the waistline incision.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD