Should I Have a Revision Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I got a septorhinoplasty during which the doctor gave me an alar base reduction as well as narrowed the tip. Immediately after surgery my nose looked great, but in months following it seemed to become crooked and the tip has gotten less refined. I have a very oily nose with thick skin and the doctor opted not to give me steroid injections but said that we should do a revision. Am I a good candidate for a revision? Can anything be done about the thick skin?

Revision rhinoplasty and thick skin

+1

Thick, oily, sebaceous nasal tip skin is best managed with cortisone injections during the first 6 months after rhinoplasty.  Revision rhinoplasty to thin the skin out will not accomplish the goal of cosmetic improvement.  This hypertrophic, sebaceous, oily skin will thickened again in the first few months after the procedure.

Need for Revision Rhinolasty

+1

It is difficult to answer your questions because it is impossible to see your nose the way you have redacted your photographs. I would need to see pictures that show your nose. Give a complete history; for example, when was your surgery done?   

Hard to Know...

+1

Michelle,

It's hard to answer completely without knowing a bit more, including how much time has passed since surgery.  It really takes 18 months to see the "final" result from a Rhinoplasty.

There is some asymmetry in your (unlabelled) photos but asymmetry is the norm: almost no one is perfectly symmetric.

Unfortunately, there are no techniques to make a thick skin less so.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon