To Have a Revision or Not to Have a Revision? (photo)

I had a septorhino 1+ yr ago and since about a week post-op, my nose has seemed to be more crooked (was perfectly symmetrical before surgery). The septum looks slanted now and I'm seeking correction of that, as well as further refinement. My surgeon wants to perform a revision, but I'm skeptical. I'd like more symmetry and refinement, but are these realistic expectations? backround info: I have very thick, oily, subaceous nasal skin, and my doc didnt didnt give me any kenalog injections.

To Have a Revision or Not to Have a Revision?

+2

Very difficult question, what do you want ? how do you feel with your nose ? You must look at the mirror, and decide if you are or are not happy with your nose, and proceed as you feel. 

Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Considering a Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
One year is a reasonable point to consider revision. A crooked nose may require repositioning bone or reshaping cartilage that may have shifted in the healing process. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Decision to have revision septorhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly acceptable after 1 year to undergo a septorhinoplasty revision.  The septoplasty should only be revised for breathing problems.  Judicious close follow up in the postoperative phase with Kenalog injections in the supratip area of the nose and the lateral tip will also help with the healing process.  Look for someone who has extensive experience in revision rhinoplasty surgery.

Crooked Nose

+1

So hard to tell with this one.  Do you have a preoperative view with the nostrils and septum?  Did you have a tip graft and/or cephalic trims?  If you could provide these items, I could give a much more precise answer.

+1

The asymmetry at 1 year is most likely the final result.  There appears to be a fullness in the left tip area which may represent a cartilage onlay graft that has shifted.  You may want to have a few consultations with experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeons.

Should I have a revision?

+1

A revision rhinoplasty can definitely give you correction of the deviation on base view and would be worthwhile in my opinion. Significant experience in performing this type or revision is necessary to have the best chance of a satisfactory outcome.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revisoin rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the photos. To properly assess whether or not improvement can be obtained, it is best to go for a consultation with a plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is a difficult operation.

Your results can be improved upon. It requires multiple surgical manouvers.

The fact that you have thick oily skin makes things a little more complex, but that does not mean that you need steroid injections. Infact steroid injections can be dangerous and unperdictable. you may see a lot of comments that the surgeon injected steroids, but that does not treat anything, it may cause more problems.

You will need a full septo-rhinoplasty with alar grafts, possible strut graft, and good quality spreader grafts(even they have to be harvested fro the rib cartilage).