Do I need a standard abdominoplasty or a version of a mini abdominoplasty? (photos)

I have consulted 2 plastic surgeons regarding abdominoplasty due to diastasis recti and hernia. One surgeon recommended standard abdominoplasty with small vertical scar to close old belly button (due to c-section scar being situated low). The other surgeon recommended an extended mini abdominoplasty using my original belly button and said my scar would be a little larger than my c-section scar. He would repair the diastasis all the way up to the top. Which sounds like a better result?

Mini- Vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+2
Both tummy tuck options can be made to work if skillfully done. But the most assured approach to getting complete rectus muscle plication and umbilical hernia repair is the full tummy tuck approach. It is a longer scar but its more wide open exposure allows better access for the muscle/hernia repair and removes the most skin. You don't look like you have a lot of skin to remove but its laxity once mobilized can be surprising. More skin removed equals a tighter abdominal result.

Mini vs. Standard

+1
There are very few people for which a mini tummy tuck is actually the best option. Since you have laxity throughout the abdomen you could probably opt for the standard tummy tuck. Even with a low scar an impressive amount of skin can usually be removed, and as one surgeon told you already a small vertical scar component may be needed if not. The vertical section is usually not that long.

You can however have a slightly elongated c section scar and have just your muscles repaired with minimal skin removal, but this is a compromise that will likely leave you slightly dissatisfied. Its also important to make sure it truly is a diastasis and not internal fat contributing to the look of the abdomen. Oftentimes procedures that are less invasive seem like great options, but you are usually sacrificing degree of result as well.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

+1
You are an excellent candidate for Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.The mesh increases the mechanical strength of the abdominal wall resulting in a hourglass figure, early satiety, weight loss and maintains the reduced weight.I only use this technique on women who are not planning future pregnancies.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Best type of abdominoplasty

+1
Thank you for the pictures. You definitely need muscle repair. It looks like you do not have a lot of excess skin. You may be a candidate for an endoscopic tummy tuck. Seek practitioners with this particular skill set.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Do I need a standard abdominoplasty or a version of a mini abdominoplasty?

+1
With the width of the diastasis and the umbilical hernia, I would recommend a standard tummy tuck. Even with a low C-section scar you might be able to get the majority of skin from umbilicus to scar excised and as one of your consultants mentioned, a small vertival scar very low may be needed. I usually tell my patients a mini tuck gives mini results.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

+1
It appears you can repair the muscles and belly button hernia through your c-section scar and belly button incision.  This would only allow one to remove some lower belly skin.  From your pictures this seems to be the way to go.  Maybe a third consultation will be the tie breaker.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for an abdominoplasty

+1
You would be a candidate for an abdominoplasty.  The incision can be kept low at the level of your previous C section scar.  The length of the scar will depend upon the laxity of your skin. 

Minituck

+1
you are a good candidate for surgery,i will suggest a minituck,ofcourse the diastasis and umbilical hernia repair must be properly done.

Thangavel Ayyappan, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs. full abdominoplasty

+1
I think you are a good candidate for surgery. I would use your old C-section scar and repair the hernia and try to keep the scar as short as possible while removing as much skin as possible.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Non traditional approach to tummy tuck

+1
 I am amazed at how much skin can be removed  even when there appears to be very little laxity.
Your primary diagnosis seems umbilical hernia and a small mass above. You may be able to correct both of these areas through a circular incision around the belly button. You can correct the diastasis through this incision as well. Save the lower abdominal scar for a more aggressive approach--should the need arise.. 

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD