Am I a Good Candidate for a Second Breast Reduction? (photo)

I had a breast reduction 10 years ago and my breasts have grown a lot. I am back to having back pain, neck pain and shoulder grooves. One breast is much bigger than the other also. I would need approval from my insurance. I am currently a 36-38DDD/F for the big boob. I think the smaller boob is around a DD if that. I would like to get down to a C cup if possible.

Am I a good candidate for a second breast reduction? (photo)

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question.  It is a safe procedure, in which your plastic surgeon will reduce the amount of breast tissue, reshape your breasts, raise the nipple-areolar complex to its appropriate position (possibly making the size smaller, if needed), and ultimately ameliorate the possible complaints that you do have for the reason that you are having this procedure (e.g., neck/back pain, migraines, rashes/infections, shoulder grooving, etc).

It would be in your best interest to have a mammogram prior to the procedure for screening prior to this procedure, as the architecture imaging of your breast will slightly change afterwards. Well known data exists that having a breast reduction will in fact lower your chance for developing breast cancer, simply because the amount of tissue will be less.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will discuss the procedure with you, examine, and assist you in determining if this is the right procedure for you.  It will be important to obtain previous operative reports so that the same breast reduction pattern is used, in order to maintain the blood supply to the nipple and not violate the vascularity to the area.  Voice your complaints - your insurance will likely require a detailed description of your history and complaints as well as photo and an estimate of how much tissue will be removed.  You should give a description of the therapies that you have done to ameliorate your complaints thus far.  Any other notes from other physicians is helpful.  It would also behoove you to discuss your issues yourself with your insurance carrier.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Secondary Breast Reduction - Finding the Best Plastic Surgeon

+1
From your description, problems related to your breasts and photos it would appear that you would be a good candidate for a secondary Breast reduction. Secondary Breast reductions can be tricky. Go to the best and most qualified board certified plastic surgeon you can find. I recommend that you look at the below link of how I would find the best plastic surgeon in your area. I would also look on the web sites of plasticsurgery.org and surgery.org to find board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Am I a Good Candidate for a Second Breast Reduction?

+1

Yes, based on the information you provided, a second breast reduction is possible. Please discuss with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Yes, based on the picture and description of goals, I think you may be a good candidate for repeat breast reduction surgery. If possible, retrieve a copy of your previous operative report, which will be helpful to your surgeon.

Also, make sure that you communicate your goals carefully with your plastic surgeon. The use of terms such as “C cup” may be confusing and a source of miscommunication. I find that the use of goal pictures are very helpful during the communication process.

Secondary breast reduction

+1

A secondary breast reduction certainly is possible. It would be nice to know the technqiue used for the original surgery to help minimize the risk of wound problems for  your secondary procedure.