11 Months Post-op-Septorhinoplasty; Nose is So Hard It is Difficult to Kiss?

Hi! Primary surgery last March. Dr. put in some type of tip grafts w/septal cartilage. My nose has not softened and does not budge at all; really leads to some awkward kissing. It's uncomfortable and not at all enjoyable like kisses should be. My nose hurts afterward! I am having revision rhinoplasty this June to correct multiple issues, including overly-shortened upturned nose. Can anything be done at this time to return my nose to a softer state? Seems silly, but it really does matter to me.

Bothered by a rigid nasal tip

+1

While this is not a commonly-expressed concern following rhinoplasty, many structural techniques used to support the nasal tip can increase the tip's rigidity.  Since you are having a revision rhinoplasty done for other reasons, I would recommend discussing your concerns and desire for a more flexible nasal tip with your surgeon so that this is taken into account with the surgical planning.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stiff Nasal Tip after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is unusual to have such a stiff nasal tip one year after surgery. Be aware that with further rhinoplasty surgery, especially to improve a short upturned nose that the nasal tip is not likely to become softer as this surgery adds more structural support to the tip of the nose.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tip is hard

+1

Discuss this with your upcoming revision surgeon. Only in a small number of patients is it necessary to use such firm grafts and rigid fixation of the tip that it doesn't become more pliable after a year.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hardened Tip and Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

If the tip grafts are causing the issue they can be removed.  If a columellar strut was used and is causing the issue this can be removed or altered.   There are always multiple ways to address a similar issue.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post Septorhinoplasty Recovery

+1

Dear Realgirl00,

I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon who will be doing your revision rhinoplasty in June. Upon a direct examination he/she will be able to provide you with your surgical options. Best regards and hopefully come July you will be smooching pain free! Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD