Does Everyone Who Offers Botox Treat the Masseter Muscle?

I'm interested in getting Botox and fillers done but I'm also wanting to get my masseter muscle reduced & I'm finding it difficult finding a place that puts Botox into the masseter. when setting up a consultation I ask if it's offered and I get a lot of no's. Im going out of the country in a few weeks and wanted toget this done ASAP. are there specific doctors that only do this?how do I find them? In the San Antonio Area please, thanks.

Many injectors don't

+1
It depends on the injector. Look for an injector who has experience and knowledge of the area for your treatment to be safe and effective. In addition, treating the masseter muscle is considered an off-label use, which is another reason why some doctors do not do this.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Treating the Masseter muscle with Botox

+1

In North America, injection of the Masseter muscle with Botox is less commonly performed than in Asia, and so there are many physicians who are not perfectly comfortable with this treatment. Ask around till you find a dermatologist who has the experience to do a great job for you. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Not all doctors who do botox inject the masseter muscles

+1

Absolutely not, not all physicians who are expert in injecting cosmetic botox are experienced in injecting the masseter muscles.  hypertrophic masseter muscles, the muscles of chewing, can create full cheeks.  Treatment of the masseter muscles can thin out the cheeks for a pleasing result. however, there can be side effects and if there is an unequl effect, it is possible that one side might create more chewing strength and create an unbalance that would affect the TMJ areas (temporamandibular joints of the jaw).  Some patients get TMJ from teeth grinding or an unequal bite and see dentists and ENT facial surgeons for adjustment because of the pain. could masseter treatment induce such symptoms of TMJ syndrome in rare individuals if there is an unbalance created?

Ronald Shelton, MD

Botox for masseter muscle

+1

Botox treatment can be effective to treat masseter muscle to smooth out jaw prominence.  It is usually done by experienced Botox injectors, and e.g. we do offer it at the Toronto Dermatology Centre - torontodermatologycentre.com

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox is effective in reducing masseter muscle bulk, requires 30-50 units per side

+1
The use of Botox for masseter muscle reduction is a relatively straightforward procedure so I am surprised that you are having such a hard time finding someone.  Any Plastic Surgeon should posses the knowledge of facial anatomy and of botox to be able to perform this procedure for you.  A spa with less qualified non-MD injectors might be afraid to perform this procedure.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox for the Masseter Muscle

+1

Many injectors who perform botox do not treat the masseter muscle. Consult the botox cosmetic website for qualified injectors in your area, and call to see if they treat the masseter muscle.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Masseter Muscle Reduction with Botox: Not routine but effective and easy.

+1

The masseter muscle is an the outer muscle of the jaw and is involved in chewing or masstication. It can become hypertrophied or enlarged with excessive chewing, such as people who chew gum all day, and in people who grind their teeth, though some people have large masseter muscles even without these habits. This hypertrophy of the masseter muscle can lead to a wide and square jaw which is unflattering in the female face. This may be more common in the asian population. Treatment may involve reversing the habits that tend to enlarge the muscle, such as gum chewing cessation or a mouthguard for teeth grinding, but the even with these interventions the muscle can still be worked excessively. There are procedures which surgically reduce the volume of the masseter, though these are invasive and is not without risk of injuring the nerves to the face, which lie just above the masseter. This is an area I am in during my sub-SMAS dissection for facelifts and the muscle is quite deep. An easier treatment for masseter hypertrophy is Botox injections directly into the muscle. This is very straightforward and can be done in the office with topical anesthesia and ice. Usually I would inject up to 20 units of Botox into both masseters and repeat this every 3 to 4 months as needed. The reduction of the muscle volume can be seen with just one round of injections. Bruising is the most common side effect which can be reduced with icing for the 2 days after the injections. Masstication or chewing should not be effected because there are 5 other muscles involved in this action. Botox is very predictable and reliable for treatment of frown lines and crows feet in the upper face and masseter injection is not part of the routine injection pattern with Botox, though can be applied easily if requested. 

Let me know if this helps and if you would like to come in for evaluation and treatment.

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Botox For Masseters (Jaw Muscles) is Effective

+1

Not all Botox injectors offer this treatment of the masseters (i.e. jaw muscles).  We offer this advanced technique that requires extensive Botox experience and an understanding of the complex facial anatomy in the region.  In my experience, Botox masseter muscle injections provide a pleasing aesthetic improvement to an undesired fullness of this facial jaw region. 

Robert Strimling, MD

Botox and Jaw Muscles

+1

I do these injections and have for years, but Botox into the jaw muscles, just like any Botox injections, is an art form. Many very experienced Botox injectors still don't do this area. You will simply need to ask when you call for a consultation. It's not something every injector does or would know how to do.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox for masseters

+1

This is definitely an advanced technique.  You want to make sure you see an expert, either a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  It requires knowledge of the anatomy of the area to achieve the results you're after.  Very common in Asia but there are doctors here in the US who are proficient in this technique.

Peterson Pierre, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist