Odd Shaped Breasts: Will a Lift Fix Them?

I'm not sure what's wrong with my breasts. I'm 17. I lost 50 pounds in 5 months. Before that, my breasts were naturally large 38Ds. They hung lower and my areolas were large, but the skin was tighter. Now they're a bit higher, but the tops have stretch marks without fullness, they're saggy, and have an odd shape. My breasts shrank, but my areolas didn't...and they look like bad implants or something. What is wrong? Is this from weight loss and will a lift help??? Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the photo. Yes a full lift with areolar reduction can improve the appearance. But you must be aware of the potential of scars. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Breast lift can fix common problems

Weight loss can certainly change breast volume, position and the overall aesthetic.  I agree with Dr. Johnson in that breast lift procedures can address the issues you have.  You should become acquainted with the different methods used  to perform a breast lift.  My preference is a vertical or "keyhole" breast lift as I have found it to provide increased projection "perkiness" and to maintain its shape well over time.

Hope this helps.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

11212 State HWY 151 Plaza 1
San Antonio , TX 78251

Breast shape after weight loss

Depending on age, weight loss can affect the breast in a number of ways. For most who lose weight when they are older the breast most often will look thin and deflated. The older breast will have more fatty infiltration and become less dense and the volume is lost throughout as weight comes off.  At age 17, your breast is young and composed of dense ductal tissue with the fat in the 'skin' layer. As you lose weight, the skin thins and shows the breast tissue much like bad breast implants as you describe. A breast lift can fix everything.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Breast Lift after Weight Loss?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is likely,  given your history and considering your concerns,  that you will benefit from breast lifting surgery plus or minus breast augmentation. One of the major considerations is timing of the surgery  in relation to your life circumstances. Some patients prefer to wait until they have completed pregnancies and/or are in stable long-term relationships.

Most patients undergoing this procedure will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met.   

When the time is right, consider consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Breast lift after weight loss

Dear UKButterly, 

I think that a lift will improve the shape of your breasts. 

When you put on weight, the skin of the breasts often stretches, and when you lose the weight, it may not recoil back to its original shape.  A lift will remedy this and you may benefit from a small reduction of your left breast as it looks a bit larger than the right in the photograph - this can be done at the same time as the lift. 

You should think carefully before embarking on surgery at your age as there will inevitably be scars, which will be permanent, although they will fade in time.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

50 Frederick Road
Edgbaston, Birmingham B5 7UG

PHOTO: Appearance of breasts after weight loss in 17 year old

From the the described appearance of the breasts, it is my impression that you will beneift from a breast lift (probably without implants). However, at 17 you will need a responsible adult's consent and must be willing to accept the scars as well as the likelihood this may need to be repeated following childbirth. It may be best to defer this until that time.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Changes in Breast Shape After Weight Loss

Hi there-

Significant changes in weight will definitely affect the shape of a woman's breasts...

Without examining you, it would be very difficult to advise you... I would recommend that you visit a surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for the best recommendations.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

7009 Dr. Phillips Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32819

Breast shape

WIth a large weight loss like you had, the breasts will undergo similar wieght loss in proportion to other body areas if they have a large fat component. A breast lift should help raise the nipple and at the same time the areola can be reduced, and the breast tissue molded into a better shape.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028