What Is Done With The Original Implant After Breast Implant Revision?

Hi, I'm getting a breast implant revision next month just to go a bit larger. Switching from saline to silicone. Anyways, my question is can I keep my old implants and take them home with me lol. They've been with me for 5 yrs and I kinda want to keep them as memorabilia. Am I the only one to ever ask this question ??

+2

Ask your chosen surgeon if after re-sterilizing the if you can keep them. I have no issue with that. Best to you. 

What is done with your original implants

+2

You are not the first person to ask this question.  Technically the implants are your property.  Each surgical facility has their own policy as to what is done with your old implants.  In our facility, you have to declare what you want done with your old implants.  Saline implants have the fluid evaporate when sitting outside of your body, so they become filled with air over a couple of months (which is different than when they are inside your body).  But you will be very happy with your new implant feel and look going from saline to silicone.

Dan Mills, MD

What Is Done W/ The Orig. Implant Aftr Breast Implant Revision?Answer:

+2

Most facilities do let you keep your implants and we do get that request quite often...but saline implants do lose their fluid when kept outside of the body. I keep some in my office for patients to see but have to store them in a ziplock bag to prevent them from drying out. That usually works!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Keeping your old implants...

+1

Hi there-

While, as my colleagues have said, it is possible to take your old implants home after your surgeon removes them and cleans them up a bit, I also agree that you will probably want to throw them away after a short period of time...

Once out of the body, they will quickly lose their fluid, turn funny colors, and may even develop an odor... Kinda yucky.

So what you want is possible, but I think it's one of those "be careful what you wish for" kind of things...

Armando Soto, MD

Keeping your Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for question.

No, you're not the first patient who wishes to keep the implants as a souvenir;  simply ask the surgeon to save them for you.

May not be able to keep implants

+1

Most facilities consider implants of any kind to be bio-hazzardous (considered dangerous because of possible contamination with blood-borne diseases). Therefore, not allowed to be taken home. Good luck, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Keeping old breast implants after a revision

+1

After a typical implant exchange for cosmetic reasons, implants are discarded with the rest of the medical waste.  In reconstructive cases, the implants are often briefly identified by a pathologist for billing reasons.  In the event of an implant deflation, the deflated implant is sent to the manufacturer to verify the claim and to study the implant for a possible cause of the failure.  Each surgical facility has their own policy when it comes to letting patients keep items such as implants.  Patients who wish to hold onto their old implants as souvenirs should discuss their situation with their surgeon and the surgical facility well in advance of their procedure.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

You could keep your old implants, but

+1

It is possible to clean up your old saline breast implants and let you take them home with you, however the implant shell is 'semipermeable' and the water will evaporate and leave a flat shriveled shell with a salty residue inside, not much of a keepsake. If you insist though you might be able to keep them out of a land fill.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

What happens to removed implants?

+1
It all depends on the policies of the facility at which the implants are exchanged. Many hospitals consider the implant to be equivalent to a surgical pathology specimen and will not release it to the patient. In such cases, particularly when the implant has deflated and needs to be submitted to the manufacturer for reimbursement, there is a mountain of paperwork required. You are definitely not the first patient to ask this question. Consult your plastic surgeon's office; the staff should be able to contact the facility which can review its legal guidelines and advise you of their protocols.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Keeping your Removed Breast Implants

+1

While technically the implants are your property, each medical center has its own policies on what is done after the implants are removed. Ask your surgeon if they can be cleaned after surgery and returned to you.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon