Occasional Bigeminy- Is There Risk to have GA w/ BA Surgery? Neg W/u from 2 Cardiologists.

I am scheduled for BA surgery in a few weeks. I have constant PVCs and occasional bigeminy. I have had a neg echo, and holter monitor showing pvcs and bigeminy. Ive spoken to 2 cardiologists that say gen anesthesia will not have any effect on my pvcs. However i have read that bigeminy is an inoperable heart rhythm. Surgery is scheduled at a hospital in boston area. Is this a rhythm that i cannot receive GA? Is conscious sed an option or should i find a PS that uses CS routinely?

Cardiologists are the heart experts

+1

Hi there-

If I'm understanding correctly, you've seen two cardiologists who have told you that it would be safe to proceed with general anesthesia for your desired aesthetic operation... If this is the case, there is not going to be much that any of us plastic surgeons can add... I would think that as long as you are being monitored by a Board Certified Anesthesiologist during your procedure, that the cardiologists know what they are talking about.

Given these circumstances,I do not personally think that (assuming you are having your implants placed sub-pectorally) sedation will improve your operative risks, and may compromise your breast outcome.

Cross all your t's and dot your i's for breast augmentation surgery.

+1

This is something you know about and precautions can be taken.

Get clearance from your cardiologist for the surgery.

Make sure you have a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Make sure you have a board-certified anesthesiologist.

Make sure that your surgery is at an accredited facility, preferably in a hospital setting.

Taking these steps can minimize any risks that you will be assuming.

All surgery carries risk. How you manage that risk is what is important.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Medical Clearance for elective cosmetic surgery

+1

You have brought up several good points when considering elective cosmetic surgery. First and foremost, when you are contemplating plastic surgery, you must consider your overall health as an important factor in the decision making. Well trained plastic surgeons do this routinely. I would recommend that you discuss your cardiac concerns in great detail with your plastic surgeon as well as your cardiologist. In fact, it would be prudent to schedule an appointment with your cardiologist in order to have them provide you with medical clearance to undergo general anesthesia. Keep in mind however, that every surgical procedure has inherent risks involved and the only way to avoid them is to not have surgery. 

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Cardiac Arrhythmia?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will likely ask that you have your cardiologist  communicate the results of the “negative workup”;  most likely, the cardiologist will “clear” you for surgery. Assuming you are working with a well expensed board-certified plastic surgeon, board-certified anesthesiologist, in a fully accredited surgery center/hospital ( and with the “blessing” of your cardiologist),  it is very likely that you will undergo the breast surgery without complication.  Your cardiologist may suggest avoidance of the use of medications that contain epinephrine (and may have other recommendations as well).

+1

We are all plastic surgeons here. When questions like this come up we ask a cardiologist and go with his recommendation. Sounds like you have done that.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD