Loose Skin After a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck w/ lipo 4 months ago and still have a lot of saggy loose skin. My surgeon says its fine but he told me I wouldn't have this. Any advise?

Is this really loose skin after your tummy tuck? Ask Dr Ellen

+2

Hello tBatten01,

Thank you for including your 4 month post tummy tuck with lipo photo.  As couple of questions for you:

1. is your concern referring to the "fullness" that is seen on your photo?  In other words, your tummy is not flat- is that what is bothering you?

2. which areas had the lipo?  how much was removed?

3.  were the muscles tightened?

4. do you see a difference in your shape from your pre op shape?

5.  what is your height and weight?

Here are some tips:

1. abdominal fullness (a tummy that is not flat) after surgery can be a result of the amount of the internal fat that surrounds the internal organs which can not be treated with surgery.  This type of fat presses against the abdominal wall and contributes to the bulging forward of the belly

2. liposuction of the superficial fat of the belly can not be too aggressive or it may injure the skin and it's blood supply

3.  tightening of the muscles at the time of the tummy tuck contributes to a flatter belly

I like to take the time at the consultation to determine how much of the fat is truly treatable with surgery so that I can create a realistic expectation as to what the results will be after surgery.  Internal fat can not be treated.  Tightening of the muscles will help is slimming your shape.  Liposuction can be very helpful but large volumes of fat can not safely be removed at the same time as a tummy tuck.  From time to time liposuction can be performed at a later date.  Nutritional counseling and a great exercise program are of great value to any woman who chooses this procedure!

Thank you.  Dr Ellen

Westport Plastic Surgeon

Loose Skin after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would say that you probably have a significant visceral fat component based upon the single photo.  An exam could confirm this. You do not have loose skin.

Loose skin or abdominal bulge?

+1

From the photo provided, abdominal bulging is more evident than loose skin. The abdomen has to have some laxity in the skin or else one would never be able to stand up straight! Abdominal bulging is typically due to an increase in intra-abdominal girth and can be exagerated with a diastasis or separation of the rectus muscles. A strong repair of the diastasis will correct many issues with the bulging. A healthy diet and exercise will help alleviate the intra-abdominal weight. Thankfully, the fat in the intra-abdominal area (visceral fat) is highly metabolic which means that it is typically the first to go when one loses weight.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Loose Skin After a Tummy Tuck? (

+1

I really don't see anything I would call excess skin, particularly given the pose that if anything would exaggerate any skin excess. It would be useful to see photos in the standing position, straight on and sideways. Comparison with before surgery pictures would be useful. 

I do see some fullness that looks like it might be intraabdominal contents, but again, this view is not particularly helpful.

Please consider adding additional views to this question. Thanks, best wishes. 

Loose skin post tummy

+1

There will always be soem loose skin when you bend over at the waist.Also if you have stretch marks these will still be there and this will cause  skin to be loose but it looks good from your post op photos.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin

+1

In the photographs you have posted your abdominal wall looks tight and smooth. I do not see any excess skin. I do see some bulging but this may be positional. An examination is necessary

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Loose skin after tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

Your skin looks tight in the picture, and the scar, from what I can see, is in proper location with good orientation.  The fullness that is evident is a contour issue, not a skin issue, and is due to either a forceful pushing out of your tummy for the picture or failure to adequately tighten the abdominal muscles during surgery.  Have you been working your abs and obliques in the gym?  If your muscles are in the best shape you can get them in and you still have a bulge you may be a candidate for further muscle tightening.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Loose Skin After a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes you "could" have extra skin, but the poor photo really does not aid us. Best to seek second opinions IN PERSON in your city. 

Loose Skin After Tummy?

+1

Hard to tell with the picture provided, I also agree with the other posts that it does not appear that you have loose skin but rather either swelling or fullness, f/u with your doctor and voice your concerns, he should be able to explain what is causing your concerns. 

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck question

+1

I agree with the other posts that I do not see extra skin but rather more of a convex contour to your anterior abdominal wall. If your doctor repaired your rectus diastasis to the best of his or her ability then you most likely have intrabdominal fat pushing out causing this contour. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon