Why Do I Have So Much Extra Skin Below my Breasts and Above my Stomach? (photo)

I have handfuls of loose skin I also had lipo done there but I'm 4 months post op I don't think I should have this much. What should I do my dr says its fine but I paid a lot of money to have loose skin gone!!

Loose Skin after Liposuction

+1

Liposuction cannot improve loose skin and is used to remove fat.  The loose skin can be improved with tummy tuck or reverse tummy tuck depending upon your needs.

Loose skin following liposuction.

+1

Although liposuction does wonders for removing fat volume, the amount of skin contraction is much more related to the skin's natural tone. As we age, our skin loses elasticity. Younger patients typically benefit from liposuction much more than older patients. Excess skin with poor elasticity requires excision, not liposuction. In particular, above the belly button skin excess requires a full tummy tuck in many cases.  

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lipo

+1

After liposuction the skin does contract but not completely. Patients often will have loose skin after liposuction

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Liposuction and loose skin

+1

Liposuction removes fat.  It does not tighten skin significantly, even with the newer forms of liposuction.

Tummy tuck tightens the skin.

I'm sorry that you were misinformed.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Loose skin post lipo

+1

This is a misnomer.Liposuction only removes excess fat not excess skin.Once you do the lipo you will have MORE loose skin.So accept it or consider a lift.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Why Do I Have So Much Extra Skin?

+1

I tell all my patients that there is a huge difference between a tummy tuck and liposuction. Abdominal liposuction will not get rid of excess skin and can, in fact, make the skin problem worse. It is difficult to evaluate your results without pre and post op pictures and a good exam, but it seems that if you want to eliminate the excess skin only a tummy tuck will do.  Go somewhere else and get a second opinion.  Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Loose Skin after Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Although, it is difficult to comment accurately based on the sole photograph provided, it is not uncommon for patients to still be able to “grab” some loose skin,  even after tummy tuck surgery. As my colleagues mentioned, the further away from the incision line the more potential loose skin there may.  Skin elasticity issues  also play a major role.

Patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery should make sure that they achieve realistic expectations prior to undergoing the procedure. For example, in certain positions ( such as sitting) they can expect to continue to have some “redundant” skin,  depending on the quality  of skin elasticity... Although it sounds simplistic, patients need to be reminded that the redundant skin is necessary when they stand fully upright or extend backwards (over a medicine ball or  while doing yoga for example).

For more specific advice, express your questions/concerns to your plastic surgeon.  If concerns still remain, a second opinion consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area may be helpful to you.

Why Do I Have So Much Extra Skin Below my Breasts and Above my Stomach?

+1

Liposuction does not tighten skin! So if you feelk you have excess skin than only excision would correct. Otherwise best to avoid a scar.. 

Liposuction vs Tummy Tuck

+1

It is very important for patients to realize prior to having liposuction that the goal of liposuction is removal of extra fat, not removal of extra skin.  There are a variety of liposuction techniques on the market today that promise skin tightening but when this does happen it is mild and a secondary benefit.  If you want large amounts of loose skin removed, you are far better off having a tummy tuck than you are having liposuction.  I recommend that you discuss these goals with your plastic surgeon as a tummy tuck would do wonders for your loose skin.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Lipo Does Not Treat Loose Skin

+1

Thank you for your photo and question.  Liposuction is very effective at body contouring by removing excess fat under the skin.  It unfortunately is not a skin tightening procedure.   A small amount of skin tightening can be expected after liposuction but that is not the primary reason for doing the procedure.   Skin laxity of the body is best addressed with a tummy tuck or body lift.  Some patients opt for lipo instead of a tummy tuck, but they should be aware that skin laxity can be a side effect. Most board certified Plastic Surgeons would have this discussion with you. You should have an additional discussion with your surgeon to clarify any misunderstandings about what is expected after liposuction surgery.  Best Wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon