How to Obtain the Most Natural Look With Breast Augmentation For Small Breasts on a Thin Frame? (photo)

I am getting breast augmentation in two weeks, and my head is spinning! I am currently a small A. (droopy from nursing two children). I am 27, 5'9" and roughly 115lbs. I think my BWD is around 11. I want to get 275CCs with a moderate plus profile hoping I will get a small C. My PS said that he would not go higher than 275CCs in the mod+ profile. We are using Silicone Gel implants by Mentor. Should I maybe even consider moderate profile for a more natural look? He said it's rarely used anymore...

Natural look for small breasts

+3

You should get a great result. You have a nicely shaped breast which has simply lost volume from your pregnancies. I think a moderate plus implant sounds right though a lot of it depends on your chest and breast measurements, as well as goals. You might not get into a C but I wouldn't emphasize the bra size but rather the "look" you are going for. For that you need to have a good discussion with your surgeon and show photos of what you're looking for. Good luck.

You're on the Right Track

+2

Hi there-

In general I agree with your surgeon and think you're likely to get a great result with the plan you've outlined.

In the interest of playing "Devil's Advocate"and helping you be sure of your decisions and goals, bear in mind that the "natural" result you are asking for is synonymous with smaller breast implants, and that it is undoubtedly more common for patients who are not completely happy after breast augmentation to wish their breasts were a bit larger than it is for them to wish they were a bit smaller.

Congratulations- I think you are an excellent candidate.

Armando Soto, MD

Use the implant that fits your base width diameter

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos. I think that is a good choice if you want to have a full but still natural look.

Your surgeon is right. The moderate profile is rarely used because they are wide and offer little projection.  In fact, Mentor has replaced the Moderate with the Moderate Classic Implant which has different volume choices and dimensions than the Moderate Silicone Gel Implants.

The Moderate Plus and the High Profile Silicone Gel implants are still available in the same sizes and dimensions.

FYI:  The diameter of a 275cc Mentor Moderate Plus Silicone Gel Breast Implant is 11.7cm and the diameter of a 275cc Moderate Classic Silicone Gel Implant is 12.5cm which is probably too wide for you and has less projection.

If you are still unsure, go back to your plastic surgeon's office for sizing again. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Moderate profile silicone implants can cause rippling.

+2

Hi.  Do not use moderate profile implants.  They cause rippling.  275 cc's sounds good for you, but this article explains how we choose implant size.1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Natural results from breast augmentation can be difficult to achieve in thin patients

+2

I think the key to a good result for you is sub-muscular augmentation using an implant with diameter that fits well within your breast width. Yuo are quite thin and don't have a lot of soft tissue coverage, so using a big implant would be a mistake. 275 cc seems like a reasonable choice. The 'moderate' profile implant is going to be slightly wider in diamter with a little less projection - probably a neglibile difference.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Natural- looking breast augmentation

+2

A natural-appearing breast is noticeably fuller in the lower pole (below the nipple) than the upper pole. In profile (viewing from the side), the upper pole slopes gradually from where the breast begins in the upper chest down to the nipple, and the lower pole is full and rounded. For any patient considering breast augmentation, there is an implant size above which the upper pole begins to look rounded, convex, and unnaturally full. Mild to moderate upper pole fullness can look beautiful and youthful, but excessive upper pole fullness due to overly-large implants looks decidedly fake, and like what most people think of as a 'boob job'.

View many, many before and after photos and look for patients with a starting pint similar to yours. Do those patients have a result similar to the type of result you'd like? 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants for “Natural” Look?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you and your plastic surgeon are thinking along the right lines. I would suggest and careful communication of your goals. in my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.   I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” etc. means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

I am sure you have chosen your flat plastic surgeon for good reasons;  once you have communicated goals carefully,  let him  “do his thing”.  Don't try to micromanage  size/profile of breast implant used. It will be important for you to develop a sense of trust so that your “head can stop spinning”.

Again,  communicate  your goals clearly  and then RELAX ( as much as possible).

How to obtain the most natural look with breast augmentation for small breasts on a thin frame?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Enhancement

+1
I think you have found a great surgeon, I think your sizing will be bang on to get you where you want to be

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant choice

+1

A decison for the appropriate implant for you really requires an exam in person.  Your anatomy and your surgical desires are important factors in the selection process.   In narrow framed patients I often go with hp's or mod + profile.