Large Pubic Mound or Labia Causing Permanent Camel Toe?

I'm not being obscene, but I have a camel toe. Is this an issue of a large pubic mound, labia or something else? It doesn't matter what pants I wear, I always have what is called a camel toe. I have a large pubic mound but I'm not sure if there is another issue that could be causing this. I have lost 90 lbs but the mound and camel toe haven't improved. I am 30 and haven't had kids so I don't want a tummy tuck.

Camel Toe?

+2

Your "camel toe" is most likley caused by full labia majora. Fat typically collects in the labia majora and the mons pubis. We can frequently perform liposuction of the mons pubis and direct excision of the fat in the labia majora to correct this problem.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

"Camel Toe" correction

+2
The "Camel Toe" is a result of tight clothing and increased prominence of the external female genitalia. No one who weras a skirt or normally loose pants exhibits this cultural phenomenon. However, with young women trying to out do each other and seemingly break world records by squeezing ever larger pelvis and buttuck units into ever smaller pants the frontal wedgie - The Camel Toe is created. It's appearance can be reduced with liposuction of the mons pubis and labia, it's existence can be eliminated by wearing less anatomically constricting clothes.

Monsplasty After Weight Loss

+1
Weight loss does not tend to be uniform throughout the body: certain areas can retain fat longer, while others can lose fat first. The mons pubis, or pubic region can remain full despite weight loss. The breasts, conversely, can be the first site of weight loss.
I will frequently perform a monsplasty at the time of tummy tuck procedures, should there be fullness in this region. This is done through the same incision of the tummy tuck. If the labia majora (outer labia) are full, in addition to the mons area, liposuction can be performed.
In the case of a female who plans on having children, I will reduce the mons by laser-assisted liposuction. This not only removes excess fat, but also tightens the skin.
The swelling of the pubic region tends to be considerable after this type of treatment, so make sure to discuss with your surgeon preoperatively.
I tend to avoid direct excision of the labia majora: this leaves a visible scar on the genitalia that I don't like (the labia minora, however, do respond well to direct excision in cases of labia minora hypertrophy/enlargement).
Make sure that your plastic surgeon addresses your concerns in your consultation.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Reduction of labia majora

+1
The fat in the labia majora - the outer, thicker and larger lips of the vulva tends to be very fibrous. Liposuction performed by using a VASER (internal ultrasound) works very well on this type of fat. If there a mild excess of skin, use of the VASER usually also results in some skin tightening as well, so excision of excess skin may become unneccessary.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Camel toe?

+1

I agree with the doctors usually this is either excess fat in the mons, labia majora, excess skin or mons ptosis or a combination of these. Usually the excess fat can be treated with liposuction, but I have found that after significant weight loss, usually a skin reduction procedure is needed. The degree of this procedure depends on the exact anatomy. A labia majora reduction can be done as well as a monsplasty to remove excess skin and fat. I recommend asking a qualified board certified surgeon with experience in vaginal surgery that has performed these types of procedures.

W. John Bull, MD

+1

This can be due to excessive tissues in this region but it can also be due to the prominence of the pubis bone, which is part of your pelvis. And depending on how much of that is contributing to it will determine whether or not it can be helped. It its all soft tissue origin, Liposuction may be of use. Although direct excision may be necessary in the event that liposuction is not successful. I would try liposuction first before any other method because of its simplicity and its ease of recovery.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Camel toe

+1

Thanks for your question - your concerns can likely be alleviated by undergoing liposuction to your mons pubis and even your labia majora. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Pubic mound an camel toe

+1

A large pubic mound is often associated with large outer lips of the labia majora (outer lips).  If the pubic area is just fat and not excess skin, then liposuction works well for that.  If you have excess pubic skin, then a pubic lift may be needed.  The camel toe is probably due to large labia majora, which can be reduced by excision of skin and fat.  These procedures are highly successful if done by a very experience surgeon.

Gary J. Alter, MD

The concern that you are referring to is related to large labia majora.

+1

This can easily be addressed by a combination of liposuction and excision of the labia majora.  This procedure is usually done under local anesthesia and the healing time is two weeks.  

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Camel Toe

+1

Your “camel toe” could actually be caused by either your pubic mound or a larger labia majora, or a combination of both issues. Liposuction performed on the pubic mound may resolve the problem without requiring a labiaplasty procedure. Some doctors refer to this procedure as a pubic reduction. A reduction of the labia majora may still be necessary if the prominence is still visible.

Michael W. Niccole, MD