Large Pubic Mound or Labia Causing Permanent Camel Toe?

I'm not being obscene, but I have a camel toe. Is this an issue of a large pubic mound, labia or something else? It doesn't matter what pants I wear, I always have what is called a camel toe. I have a large pubic mound but I'm not sure if there is another issue that could be causing this. I have lost 90 lbs but the mound and camel toe haven't improved. I am 30 and haven't had kids so I don't want a tummy tuck.

Camel Toe?

+2

Your "camel toe" is most likley caused by full labia majora. Fat typically collects in the labia majora and the mons pubis. We can frequently perform liposuction of the mons pubis and direct excision of the fat in the labia majora to correct this problem.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Large Mons Pubis, Sagging Mons Pubis, Camel Toe, Treatments

+1
A large pubic mound is treated in several ways depending on how it's shaped. If it sags, it might require a mons pubis lift done through a small transverse scar or a tummy tuck. You can usually pass on the tummy tuck if you wish, but a small scar is required to lift and tighten loose tissue. If it doesn't sag, liposuction might do the job - vaser, laser, power-assisted lipo, tickle lipo, etc, it doesn't really matter what type of lipo you have so long as it's done conservatively and artfully so as not to create an unattractive overdone appearance. Additional procedures that might be required include reduction of the labia majora (reduction majoraplasty) and perineoplasty. Below is a lecture on mons pubis and vulvar aesthetics that I gave to a group of plastic surgeons, cosmetic surgeons and gynecologists earlier this year:

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City Cosmetic Gynecologist

Large pubic mound

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss.  There can be several reasons for the appearance of fullness of this area.  One cause can be excess skin and/or fat in the pubic area.  Treatment of this can include pubic lift or liposuction.  If the cause is large labia majora or minora (or both), the labiaiplasty is the treatment of choice.  If several conditions exist at once, then treatment can be combined so you don't have to undergo multiple surgical sessions.  The best way to get answers to your questions is with a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has experience in these procedures.  

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Large camel toe pubic mound

+1
Thank you for your question, and no, I don't think you were being vulgar, you were just being honest. First of all congratulations for your massive weight loss, I know just how hard that was and still is. Now, in regards to your problem, I do what's called a mons lift, the mons being that exact pubic area that has that stubborn fat that you describe. In that procedure, which is usually piggybacked to a tummytuck or a mini tuck, does wonders in improving the quality of the life of my massive weight loss patients. Find a Board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon who does this often and you should have no problems in making a sound decision. Hope this helps and good luck.  

Daniel Kaufman, MD

Camel Toe Treatment

+1
For patients who complain of a large "camel toe," I perform a procedure called a public lift.  It lifts and flattens the mons pubis, labia majora and inner thighs.  I remove the upper portion of hair so that patients obtain a more youthful appearance.  I perform this procedure commonly for patients who have lost large amounts of weight or had several babies.

David Stoker, MD

Monsplasty After Weight Loss

+1
Weight loss does not tend to be uniform throughout the body: certain areas can retain fat longer, while others can lose fat first. The mons pubis, or pubic region can remain full despite weight loss. The breasts, conversely, can be the first site of weight loss.
I will frequently perform a monsplasty at the time of tummy tuck procedures, should there be fullness in this region. This is done through the same incision of the tummy tuck. If the labia majora (outer labia) are full, in addition to the mons area, liposuction can be performed.
In the case of a female who plans on having children, I will reduce the mons by laser-assisted liposuction. This not only removes excess fat, but also tightens the skin.
The swelling of the pubic region tends to be considerable after this type of treatment, so make sure to discuss with your surgeon preoperatively.
I tend to avoid direct excision of the labia majora: this leaves a visible scar on the genitalia that I don't like (the labia minora, however, do respond well to direct excision in cases of labia minora hypertrophy/enlargement).
Make sure that your plastic surgeon addresses your concerns in your consultation.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Reduction of labia majora

+1
The fat in the labia majora - the outer, thicker and larger lips of the vulva tends to be very fibrous. Liposuction performed by using a VASER (internal ultrasound) works very well on this type of fat. If there a mild excess of skin, use of the VASER usually also results in some skin tightening as well, so excision of excess skin may become unneccessary.

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Camel toe?

+1

I agree with the doctors usually this is either excess fat in the mons, labia majora, excess skin or mons ptosis or a combination of these. Usually the excess fat can be treated with liposuction, but I have found that after significant weight loss, usually a skin reduction procedure is needed. The degree of this procedure depends on the exact anatomy. A labia majora reduction can be done as well as a monsplasty to remove excess skin and fat. I recommend asking a qualified board certified surgeon with experience in vaginal surgery that has performed these types of procedures.

W. John Bull, MD

+1

This can be due to excessive tissues in this region but it can also be due to the prominence of the pubis bone, which is part of your pelvis. And depending on how much of that is contributing to it will determine whether or not it can be helped. It its all soft tissue origin, Liposuction may be of use. Although direct excision may be necessary in the event that liposuction is not successful. I would try liposuction first before any other method because of its simplicity and its ease of recovery.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Camel toe

+1

Thanks for your question - your concerns can likely be alleviated by undergoing liposuction to your mons pubis and even your labia majora. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon