Can an Obese Patient Have a Abdominoplasty to Relieve Severe Pain from Nerve Depression in Abdomen?

I am 270lbs &haven't been able to lose weight. I had a lap band with partial stomach removal in 2008 and lost 17% of my wt. I don't eat much, I don't even enjoy eating but I still do not lose. I have pain in my lower truck area after laying for 3 or more hours. ultra sound, MRI, colonoscopy show nothing. Dr say it my sagging distorted stomach. The pain feels like a rolling bowling ball depressing my nerves and spine depending on the postion I lay Inc. now I'm starting to feel it when sitting

Tummy Tuck in Obese Patient to Relieve Pain

+1

A tummy tuck in an obese person is not advisable due to higher risk of complications. Restrictive and/or malabsorptive procedures should lead to massive weight loss with the right program. 

Weight loss

+1

you should revisit your bariatric surgeon. The amount of weight you have lost is not that significant.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Abdominal procedure for abdominal pain in obese individual.

+1

I agree with Dr. Gottlieb. Being unable to lose weight after lap band and partial gastrectomy is the bigger issue at hand. Discussing this with your bariatric surgeon would be a good idea.

From a plastic surgery standpoint, it is a bit difficult to discern your pain and see if it related to the tissue. Operating for pain alone without documentation of the reason for the pain is usually not very successful. The risk of complications is much higher with an increased BMI.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Can an Obese Patient Have a Abdominoplasty

+1

I think most surgeons comparing the risks and benefits would not recommend abdominoplasty. Surgical risks are progressively greater with BMI (body mass index) above 30. 

There is a adage in surgery that when you operate for pain, you get misery. Without any findings I would expect little likelihood of relief or your symptoms with abdominoplasty. 

17% is not much weight loss after the procedure you have had. Perhaps you would be better off being evaluated by your weight loss surgeon to see what else can help with weight control.

Thanks for  your question, best wishes.