Obese and a tummy tuck?

I am obese at 280lbs and 5"10 I have been approved for a panniculectomy by ins and dr. You all suggested bariatric first, neither my family phys or endocronologist will approve bariatric after seeing my food journal for 6wks, I have had thryoid cancer in the past & diagnosed with insulin resistance, so knowing this would you still advise against the tt with flanks. Not doing to "loose" weight but to be rid of the rash and smell under the apron. Thanks

High risk

+1

If you are obese and have diabetes, you are at risk for wound healing problems with a panniculectomy. Also, keep in mind that when the apron is gone, it may be difficult to wear pants, since the area where you rest your pants may be right on that pannus. Further weight loss would definitely get you a better result and improve safety. Be sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs a lot of these procedures. Good luck!

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Obese and a tummy tuck?

+1

A panniculectomy does not seem unreasonable given your description. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Panniculectomy vs bariatric surgery

+1

I would ask a bariatric surgeon if you would be a candidate for either a sleeve gastrectomy or a gastric bypass surgery. These would be the best next steps. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Obese and a tummy tuck?

+1

I am not sure I understand the relevance of a food journal to the problem and its treatment.

But if bariatric surgery is out of the question, the best solution would be as simple a procedure as possible, in this case a panniculectomy.

All the best.