Is Obagi Blue Peel Safe for Skin with Hypertrophic Acne Scars?

Hi! I’m going to undertake a chemical peel procedure (Obagi Blue Peel) for the overall improvement of face skin appearance. The only concern is that I have hypertrophic acne scars. I’ve never had atrophic acne scars (boxcar or ice pick). The scars I have are small, almost invisible and without discoloration. My only concern is possible side effects of Obagi Blue Peel (as my skin “produces” hypertrophic scars). Can the procedure worsen the appearance of existing scars or “stimulate” new ones?

Acne scars and blue peel

Hypertrophic scars are often in an active phase of growth and are unlikely to improve with a TCA Blue Peel.  I would recommend first addressing the hypertrophic element before the peel. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Obagi Blue Peels are safe for skin with hypertrophic scars

When properly done, an Obagi Blue Peel is a fairly superficial peel that is very safe and should not cause problems in someone that is susceptible to hypertrophic scarring. However, any peel that is not done properly can be a risk for creating new scars. make certain you are being treated by a physician and preferably one that is quite experienced.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Obagi Blue peel is not used for hypertrophic scars

Hypertrophic scars should be treated by a scar expert or specialist who has an interest and exertise in dealing with excessive or undue scarring. Once that is under control, residual hyperpigmentation can be dealt with using lasers, Obagi peels, etc.