Is it best to do an implant and lift together or wait 6 months between procedures? (photos)

I know I need a lift for my saggy breasts, but I would also like implants to get back the fullness I lost after breastfeeding. I am done having babies and would like lasting results after surgery. Is it best to do go larger with implants and do the lift together or is there a benefit to doing implants first then a lift?

Depends on you

+1
Approximately 50% of my patients who seek augmentation mastopexy have the procedures performed at separate times. Known as “staged” augmentation mastopexy, this approach has a longer safety record than when both procedures are performed at the same time, in a single surgery (known as single-stage, of which the other 50% of patients have performed).

During staged augmentation mastopexy, the mastopexy is usually performed first. This allows the breast to be lifted and shaped without the added weight of the breast implants working against the lift. Enough time is allowed to pass for the breasts to adequately heal in the lifted position before proceeding with the breast augmentation, a second surgery scheduled no less than three months afterward.

The staged approach to breast lift augmentation is tried-and-tested. Its benefits include:
  • Good control over the outcome of each procedure, since the subsequent procedure can be better designed to improve on the results that have been achieved
  • A lower rate of additional surgery to correct undesirable results, since it is harder to predict results from the single-stage approach
  • Better selection of surgical techniques to minimize incisions and resulting scars
  • A lower complication rate as the single-stage approach is associated with higher risks and complications, including disruption to the blood supply to the tissues and capsular contracture.
Does this mean that scheduling your augmentation and mastopexy separately is better? It may or may not be, depending on the professional medical opinion of an experienced board certified Plastic Surgeons Discuss your goals during your private consultation with your surgeon, and after a physical examination, you’ll find out which approach is better suited to achieve your goals.

Is it best to do an implant and lift together or wait 6 months between procedures?

+1
hello and thanks for your question.
You could do it in one session or in two different stages.
Dr Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

+1
Hi. This is a great question. There are many surgeons who believe that the lift should be done first, wait and then perform the augmentation. Some surgeons feel this will allow the tissues to settle better and believe that there are less complications. I really think that it depends on the surgeon and the level of comfort he/she have in performing both procedures at the same time.

I personally will perform a breast lift and augmentation at the same time. The complication or revision rate has not been any higher. I believe it's advantageous for the patient in that it's less expensive, one anesthesia and one recovery. All of us have different formulas for success and like all great chefs we each have our own recipes.Once you have found a surgeon who is good at his art then I feel that the most important factor is the trust that you are able to develop. 

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

I wish you well on your journey. Good luck

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Is it best to have breast lift and implants at the same time

+1
The answer to your question will depend on the plastic surgeon that you see for consultation.  Many plastic surgeons today performed breast augmentation and lift at the same procedure.

However traditionally it has been recommended that the procedures be staged and separated by 6 months.

Both techniques work very well when performed by an excellent plastic surgeon who is comfortable with that particular technique.

I strongly recommend that you choose the best plastic surgeon who is experienced in aesthetic breast surgery and once you have decided on the surgeon  allow the surgeon to decide which technique he or she feels will give you the best result in their hands.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Lift with Augmentation.

+1
Great question!
The decision to have a lift at the same augmentation depends on a number of factors including degree of ptosis, surgeon preference and patient preference. 
With the degree of ptosis you have you would be a candidate for a lift/augmentation as a one stage procedure. If you see a specialist plastic surgeon he/she will be able to guide you as to your most suitable and safest option. 
Kind regards,
Vij Vijayasekaran
Perth, Australia.

Vijith Vijayasekaran, MBBS, FRACS
Perth Plastic Surgeon