Tummy Tuck with NO SCAR! Is it possible?

I know there are many Doctors that "claim" they can do this. Then you have doctors that say it is not possible. CAN IT BE DONE? If not what are some other options? A hip bone to hip bone scar is not an option. I scar very bad and I know if will not heal well.

Tummy tuck without a scar is not a tummy tuck

+1
A tummy tuck removes loose skin, repairs a muscle separation when necessary, and removes any localized excess fat. Without leaving a scar, the only option is liposuction. There are exaggerated claims about skin tightening with laser-assisted lipo and other technologies but none of them come close to what a surgical tummy tuck does.

No Scar Tummy Tuck?

+1
In short, the answer is no, there's no way to have a tummy tuck without a scar.

That's assuming that you need excess skin removed, along with other aspects of the procedure (muscle tightening in most cases and possibly some light liposuction). When you remove skin, a scar is inevitable.

Since you're interested in the procedure, I'd suggest you arrange at least one consultation with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon who performs many tummy tucks each year. Voice your concerns about scarring, listen to the ways he or she can help minimize the impact of the incision, then make your decision. In my experience, patients who indeed benefit from a tummy tuck are almost universally happy they traded their abdominal problems for a scar.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

TT

+1

I don't think that there will be any cut made with out leaving a scar. They're a lot of scar minimizing treatments out there that can help you dimish the scar but not remove completely.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

A Scarless Tummy Tuck is Liposuction

+1

There is abdominal liposuction which is scarless. But there is no such thing as a scarless tummy tuck. Claims for it are nothing more than liposuction in disguise.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1
Tummy tuck operations involve removal of “excess” skin that is present after pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss. Removal of the skin can will leave a scar.
I hope this, and the attached link, (demonstrating tummy tuck scars) helps.

Tummy Tuck With No Scar - Too Good To Be True

+1
Sounds too good to be true - that is correct, there is no such thing as a scarless tummy tummy tuck as one of the major parts of the procedure is to remove loose skin.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Scarless tummy tuck

+1

Actually there is such a thing as a scarless tummy tuck, called an endoscopic abdominoplasty or endoscopic assisted abdominoplasty. However, the surgeons below are correct that excess skin cannot be removed without a scar. So, how is it done and in what type of patients? Keep in mind the three areas we work on in tummy tucks are the skin, the subcutaneous fat, and the abdominal wall (muscles and fascia). It depends on which layers are in need of work as to what type of tummy tuck you are a candidate for. Some patients will have excellent skin and yet have a stretching and laxity of the muscular abdominal wall. These patients do not need skin excision , just tightening of the lax muscles and fascia which is done endoscopically through the belly button and thus - no scar (see my website). Other patients, in fact most patients, will have stretched and lax skin and will need it tightened and the excess excised for a better cosmetic appearance. These patients will require a more traditional type of abdominoplasty and if there is any amount of fat involved will require a lipoabdominoplaty after the technique of Saldanha from Brazil. Noninvasive procedures such as CoolSculpting and Excilis have been helpful in mild cases of excess fat and /or skin laxity.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Scarless Tummy-tuck

+1

There is no such thing as a scarless tummy-tuck because to remove extra skin by cutting it out always leaves a scar. 

However, there are people that use machines that "shrink" the skin so that there are no scars but these also do not really work and the doctors that practice this are misleading you in their marketing.

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Scarless TT

+1

I am not aware of any TT that does not leave a scar. It is usually placed within a bikini line and can be done with a shorter scar if all your changes are below the belly button for example. But there is always a scar to remove extra skin. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Scar

+1
The short answer is that there is no such thing as a scarless abdominoplasty.  If there is extra skin, it's removal will leave a scar.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon