May I Request a Specific Painkiller for the First Few Days of my Procedure to Help Me Get By?

im going to get a bbl and a mini tummy tuck. former patients of the dr said that the painkiller given to them makes them very nauseous, can i request percasets ? can i ask my primary care physician to prescribe me some for my surgery?

Surgery

+2

I provide my patients with anti nausea medication to help them in the post operative period. I also ask them to take the pills with food

Pain medication after surgery

+2

It is important that you discuss your concerns with your doctor or their office.  I am sure that they will help you find the best pain medication for you after surgery. 

Good Luck

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Postop pain medication

+2
What is important is what worked for you or didn't much more than anecdotal information from other patients. Everyone processes pain and reacts to medication differently. Only your plastic surgeon should be prescribing postop meds and you should not go to your internist without his knowledge to get medication. In NY, if you do, this will actually be reportable to your surgeon as potential narcotics abuse. Interestingly, sone patients report nausea as a consequence of Percocet, which is what I typically prescribe.

May I Request a Specific Painkiller

+2

Most surgeons would be very happy to hear which pain medicine has worked well for you in the past and then prescribe that for you.

Painkillers

+2

Yes. We always give adequate pain medication prescriptions for postoperative pain.  Ask your doctor office

West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Nausea with Pain Medicine

+1

Nausea is a common side effect of most narcotic pain medicines including Percocet.  I would ask for anti-nausea medicine in addition to your pain killer of choice.  Good luck.

Discuss Pain Management With Your Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your Plastic Surgeon will be more than willing to discuss pain management options with you to make your recovery more comfortable. Explaiin the issues with certain medications with her/him and develop a plan that will keep you comfortable and safe. All the best!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Pain medication

+1

Let your Plastic Surgeon know what pain medication has previously worked for you in the past and if its something you could take after the surgery, mostly because there are some medications that you must avoid before and after surgery. He /She would let you know what is the right choice for you.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely!

+1

Absolutely! Most practitioners are aware we are all not the same and respond to certain medications differently. Consider expressing your concerns to your surgeon before your surgical procedure. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Specific Pain Killer after Brazilian Buttlift

+1

Yes, most plastic surgeons will prescribe the best tolerated pain medication.  Most pain killers can cause some degree of nausea, and they should be taken with food. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.