Almost 4 Months Post Op...feel Tough Still, Normal? (photo)

My silicone implants are not as soft as I was lead to believe. In my hands the implants felt VERYY soft and oozy. Inside my body they feel like elastic balls. I second guess that decision and think I might as well have opted for saline sometimes. I started out as a 32A...now I wear a 34C. I also don't feel like I have adequate cleavage unless a wear a bra two sizes too small....why is this?

Excellent Postop Results

+2
Thank you for your question. Based on your photos you have an outstanding result.  Congratulations!  It usually takes months for your breasts to feel normal after augmentation.  Capsular contracture is also unlikely,  It is my professional opinion that you made the right choice with silicone versus saline if a more natural feel was your desired outcome. Some implants like the Allergan 410 implant feel very firm early on and get better with time. Hang in there. All the best.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Nice result after breast augmentation.

+2

Hi.

Nothing is perfect, but my impression is that you have a good, natural result. You will become less aware of the implants as your body (and your brain) get used to them. Doesn't look like you have capsular contracture.  Unsupported cleavage with breasts "standing up" after breast implants is not natural.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Your breasts are still healing.

+1

Sometimes it can take up to 6-12 months for breast implants to feel like your own.  Ask your plastic surgeon about some breast exercises you can do to help soften them as well. Saline implants tend to feel a bit firmer than silicone. As far as the cleavage goes, it all depends on how far apart your nipples are from one another. There are some bras out there that can help give you more cleavage.

Paul M. Parker, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breasts not as soft as anticipated

+1

Gel implants are much 'softer' then saline implants but the bottom line, there is nothing natural about implants and they are always appreciated when the breast is squeezed.  As for you not having cleavage, implants alone do not produce cleavage but they sure make it easier to get one by pushing implants medially.  If your breasts are becoming firmer, you could be developing other problems and should see your surgeon for an exam and opinion.

Curtis Wong, MD

Not Soft Enough Yet after Implants?

+1

You look to have a great result.  Two important points:  1)  Breasts tend to get softer up to a year or so, so you don't have your final result.  2)  Cleavage depends on how close together your nipples/breast are prior to augmentatiion as well as how large implants you choose.  Ultimately, you can only go "so large" with implants.  The good news is that push-up bras can give you more cleavage. Congratulations on a great looking result!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Disappointed With Softness and Cleavage

+1

It may surprise you to learn that your breasts may still get softer still over the next few months.  Saline implants are usually no softer than silicone ones especially since most surgeons overfill them slightly to avoid rippling.  Your photos do not show signs of capsular contractures, but in the early stages it is difficult to see them.  Have you had your surgeon evaluate you for this?  Also it depends on which silicone implants were used. The new shaped implants are firmer than the round ones.  Which implants did you feel and which ones were used?

Cleavage is a matter of how far apart your breasts are spaced and how wide your breasts are.  Very few woman have natural cleavage.  Your implants appear to be positioned correctly: they are centered behind your nipples.  If your surgeon had moved them toward the midline your nipples would have been on the outside of the curve of the breast and pointed outward.  This is not a good look.  If your implants are under the muscle remember that the muscle is attached to the edge of your breastbone and the implant can go no further than that.  It is not considered good technique to disconnect the muscle from the breastbone because it can lead to problems like synmastia (uniboob), visible rippling and exaggerated deformity of the breast with contraction of the muscle (animation deformity) all of which are difficult to fix.  If your natural breast tissue does not extend to the midline you are going to have to push it over there with a bra to get cleavage as you are doing.  From the photo you provided I see a beautiful result with a lovely natural shape.  Give yourself a few more months for your tissues to continue to soften and settle.  Review your pre-operative photos to remind yourself where you came from and thank your surgeon for a job well done.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Almost 4 Months Post Op...feel Tough Still, Normal?

+1

You might have or be getting a capsular contracture?? But without in person examination impossible to determine. The wideness is your anatomy. 

4 months post breast augmentation

+1

At 4 months post breast augmentation the breasts should be getting softer and feel more natural. Without an exam I can not say why this is not the case for you.