Is a Medpor Implant Required when It Comes to Defining a Hispanic Nose? (photo)

I went to 3 doctors over the past few months. The last doctor I saw (Sam Rizk) told me that I would need an implant to define my tip of my nose. However, the other doctors I went to never informed me of this. He also told me I have a deviated septum on my right side. I just don't understand how other doctors did not see this. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance!

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

I would stay away from Medpor especially in the tip. Medpor is notorious for extruding and getting infected. A recent study in the Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery confirmed a high infection rate for Medpor implants. You may need an implant to better define the bridge of your nose. For this I would use either a custom carved silicone implant or cartilage. As far as the deviated septum, most people have some degree of deviation. Whether the deviation is clinically relevant ( causing nasal obstruction) is more important. See link below for more info.

Dr.S.

Medpore implant not recommended

+1

We do not recommend Medipore implants anywhere in the nose.  We also do not recommend any synthetic implants whatsoever in the tip of the nose.  It is always best to use the patient’s own cartilage when needing grafts, unless a very large augmentation of the dorsum is required.  There are several degrees of deviation in the septum.  As long as patients have excellent breathing through their nose, there is no reason to fix a deviated septum unless it is symptomatic.

Medpor and Hispanic Nose

+1

My advice would be to stay away from Medpor, as other safer options are available. Your nose can be defined by modifying its native cartilage, thereby avoiding the risk of dealing with an implant infection. 

With respect to septal deviation, small deviations can exist without causing airway obstruction. In other words, not all septal deviations require surgery. In your case, however, cartilage from the septum would be useful during your rhinoplasty, so a simultaneous correction and straightening of the septum can be performed.

Hope this helps,

Grigoriy Mashkevich MD

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

The tip looks round and the skin looks thick. In such cases a shield shaped tip graft is your best bet to get better tip definition. I do not see a deviated septum in the photo so it is easy to see why the other surgeons missed it. Medpor implants are not required to get a hispanic loook.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Medpro Implant to Define Hispanic Nose

+1

In Southern California where I've seen many Hispanic noses over the past 35 years I've never used Medpor to define a patient's nose. I've used the patient's own cartilage to avoid the possible complications associated with implants.

I hate medpore

+1

To define an amorphous tip , there are,many differt ways to do it. Some involve using your own cartilage. Foreign bodies, such as medpore can get infected and cause unending problems 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Medpore is not needed to define the tip of the nose.

+1

Kailin:

It is up to the surgeon to decide what would work best for your and in his/her hands. My first choice to get good tip definition is to use your own septal cartilage. If there is not enough, you can use ear cartilage. If that wouldn't work, then I would use an implant like Medpor.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Michael in Miami

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

An exam in person would help determine what would be best for you.  I think that the goal is create a natural result and still maintain your ethnic identity.

Rhinoplasty and Medpor implant.

+1

For more than 35 years I have used the patient's own cartilage to give me tip definition without any infection. I feel there is no need to user door with this risk.