How Long Does It Take Swelling and Redness from Radiesse in the Hand to Go Down?

How long does it take swelling and redness from radiesse in the hand to go down? I just got it done 2 days ago and both, but particularly my left hand is red and looks swollen like a mitt. Is this what it will look like, or will it get more normal looking? How long before I panick?

Radiesse Redness & Swelling

+1

Some swelling can last up to 2 weeks after Radiesse treatment to the hands, with significant swelling typically resolving after 1 week.  Redness from treatment is typically seen for a couple of days after treatment, but should not be painful.  I would inform your treating physician of the redness, as they may advise you to take an nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory or see you back in, depending on how long it has been red.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling from Radiesse to hand

+1

Swelling and bruising after injection are very common.  I recommend if you are at all concerned, due to pain or severe swelling, call your Dr and discuss a sooner follow up with him/her. Best of luck! 

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

+1

It is a bit difficult to determine what is going on from the description, but bruising and swelling can be present for 2 weeks or so following the injection.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

There are several stages in injections, and there are also variations with each type of injection.  For Radiesse, there is typically a period of redness and swelling such as you are describing that can last for up to about a week or so, sometimes a little longer.  Then the swelling abates and then, starting a few weeks after the injection, new collagen formation (neocollagenesis) increases the volume of the injected area.  That, of course, is the goal from the outset.  Hopefully, though, without the redness.  For additional questions or concerns you should contact the MD who did the injections.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Swelling after Radiesse in the hands

+1

Swelling after Radiesse injection into the hands is very common and may last for up to 2 weeks. I advise my patients to keep their hands elevated (above the level of the heart), ice frequently, and wear the carpal tunnel splits (can be purchased in the drug store) for extra compression to minimize swelling. Swelling two days after injection is not a sign of permanent damage, as long as you are feeling fine otherwise. Time is your biggest ally, but the above measures may help.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling and Redness From Radiesse Injections in the Hand

+1

Generally speaking, swelling and redness after an injectable treatment can take a week or two to go away completely. If it persists or ever becomes painful, I would follow up with your physician. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD