Many Conflicting Opinions on Upper Lip Lift Surgery? (photo)

Hi, I'm interested in reducing the space between my nose and upper lip, which now measures 1.7mm. I have no "tooth show" when my mouth is relaxed (see photo) but I'm not sure my jaw anatomy would allow for that, anyway, and I am most concerned with simply reducing the space. I've had a previous rhinoplasty, so I am also concerned with nasal base distortion. How many mm should I have removed? And will a skin-only lip lift drop slightly, causing the loss of a mm or two?

Upper lip lift

+2

......I understand your concerns and would proceed cautiously...... there is no perfect answer to your problem, A direct lip lift with an incision at or just above the vermillion border almost always leaves a visible and sometimes unsightly scar...even when excellent surgical work is done. The same can also take place when the surgery is done at the base of the nose. I prefer to do surgery at the base of the nose and leave the vermillion border of the lip looking as natural as possible.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip lift

+1

A direct lip lift (removing tissue just above your lip line) would be indicated since you have a long philtrum and minimal showing of your upper teeth. This will also remove wrinkles from the upper lip and make the upper lip look larger. I would remove 3-4 mm of tissue. With this type of lift, no distortion will occur at the nasal base.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon