Will I Benefit from a Breast Lift? (photo)

Hi, I am currently a 34C size breast and am looking to get a breast lift. I am looking to achieve height and fullness of my breast if that make sense without implants. I do have some breast tissue, but a lot of sagging as you can tell. I am wondering if a (mastopexy) lollipop technique breast lift will achieve what I am going for. What other techniques you know of that could benefit me better? Are implants a better choice for me? If so which one's? Thanks!

Breast lift

+3

Hi surgeryonthego,
     You certainly will benefit from a breast lift.  I believe you should consider the following principles in your decision process.  There are basically two types of breast lifts.  One type is essentially a skin lift, where some skin is excised and in the process of closing this pattern the breast is pushed up.  The other type of lift is a lift where the inside of the breast is reshaped in a higher position and the skin plays a very small role in tightening.  You should avoid any lift that relies on the skin.  The skin is a very poor vehicle by which to lift the breast.  The skin tends to stretch leading to early  relapse of the droop and scars under tension do very poorly.  On the other hand, a breast lift that is performed by reconstructing the internal architecture of the breast with very little skin tension tends to remain elevated much longer and usually leads to excellent mostly inconspicuous scars.
     As far as the incisions required for the lift, you would need at least an incision around the areola, as well as a vertical incision that extends from the bottom of the future areola down to the inframammary fold.  I do not believe you require a long horizontal incision that spans your inframammary fold.  Unlike the vertical scar which usually heals quite well, the horizontal incision often does not heal well.  Therefore, if one can avoid the horizontal incision, one definitely should.  There are techniques available today for your type of breast that could be performed without the need for a horizontal incision.
     With regards to the use of implants, you are not a candidate for only implants.   That will not work for you.  You will require a breast lift.  Implants may be placed in addition to the lift. You should realize that implants serve two functions.  They can influence the size of the breasts, and they can influence the shape of the breasts .  If you undergo a breast lift alone, your breasts will be smaller.  A certain volume of the breast tissue must be removed during a breast lift. Therefore, if you want to preserve your size or wish to increase it then an implant should be considered.  The other consideration in choosing to use an implant  is the shape of the breasts you desire.  If you are looking for upper pole fullness to your breasts as seen with push up bras then implants should be considered.  No lift alone, regardless of how tight it is made will maintain any upper pole fullness.
     A note regarding the"ultimate breast lift".  I think it is presumptuous and arrogant on any surgeon's part to name or describe a procedure they perform as ultimate.  Ultimate implies there is no better.  I was unaware that G-D answers questions on real self. Let me tell you what I see as serious shortcomings of the ultimate breast lift.  Firstly, I think the shape is less than ideal.  If you look at all the ultimate breast lift results on side view, you will notice that thy are a bit flat in the region of the nipple/areola complex.   The ideal shape of a breast is one which gently peaks at the region of the nipple areola complex.  It is not possible to achieve this aesthetic shape without a vertical incision regardless of how much coning is produced under the skin.  Some of the review of patients that underwent that procedure complained about this finding.  Secondly, the claim that  with the ultimate breast lift one has "minimally visible scars."  This too is misleading.  It is well recognized by the consensus of plastic surgeons that of all incisions on the breast it is the horizontal incision that heals the poorest.  To avoid the vertical incision, which heals the best, and in exchange produce a horizontal incision, which heals the poorest, is questionable.  The response that a horizontal incision is hidden under the breast and therefore healing is not as critical is incorrect.  The horizontal incision at its ends is quite visible in the area of cleavage as well as lateral chest wall.  These incisions are quite obvious on the before and after photos of patients that underwent this procedure.   A woman with a poorly healed horizontal incision is forever unable to feel comfortable in a low cut dress or bikini   Finally, the claim that implants will not produce upper pole fullness and will actually work against the breast  lift is also not true.  That statement may be valid when the implants are placed in front of the muscle.  However, most implants today are positioned behind the muscle.  Proper placement of implants behind the muscle will support the weight of the implants so that very little forces, if any, are transmitted to the breast tissue outside it.   Therefore, the implants should have no influence on the breast to bottom out and drop.
Good luck,
Ary Krau MD FACS

Breast Lift Benefits

+2

Looking at your photos, I would say yes, you would benefit from a breast lift. In my practice, the lift is performed with a lollipop scar technique. You could also use an implant if you wanted more fullness.

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with or without implants.

+2

A Mastopexy would give you a higher breast and  you can also reduce the size of the areola.  This will give you a more youthful look and contour.  You can always add a small implant to fill the center and add volume for a more voluptuous look.

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift candidate?

+2

If you are otherwise healthy, you look like a good candidate for a breast lift.  An implant is not absolutely necessary but it does help add fullness to the top of the breasts which many people like.

Sacha Obaid, MD

What is the best breast lift and should you have implants as well?

+2

From the photos you provided you would benefit from a breast lift with or without breast implants. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. At the least you will have a scar that goes around the areola and down the middle of the lower breast. You most likely would have a scar as well in the fold of your breast commonly described as the anchor scar. This really depends on the technique your plastic surgeon offers you. Your breasts will be a little smaller after a breast lift so if this will be a problem, you may consider the addition of implants. I hope this helps.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast lift with or without breast implants

+2

I agree you are a good candidate for a breast lift. Ideally, you want the nipple to sit at the highest projecting part of the breast mound, whereas right now the nipple points downwards towards the floor. It looks like you have a good amount of breast tissue, and would do well with a lift alone if your goal is to achieve a lifted and more youthful contour. For the best contour, you would need the full anchor type incision, where the incisions go around the areola, vertically from the areola to the fold, and along the breast fold (known as the inframammary crease). The lollipop technique would not be enough because you have a lot of extra skin on the lower part of your breast.  Basically with a mastopexy you end up trading scars for improved shape. Whether or not you would benefit from breast implants depends on how full you want to be. An implant could be placed at the same time if you wanted to go larger, but I don’t think you necessarily need it. If you’re not sure, I would hold off since you can always come back and get implants later. Getting implants without a lift would leave you with large droopy breasts, so I would not recommend that. Since you have a good amount of your own breast tissue, I think you could get either saline or silicone implants under the muscle. For patients who do not have a lot of their own tissue, I think silicone implants look and feel more natural. Ultimately it’s your preference though based on what you feel more comfortable with, and both are safe. I recommend seeing only board certified plastic surgeons for this type of procedure.

Anita Patel, MD

When To Do A Breast Lift

+2

Based on the photos you would benefit from a breast lift. The lollipop technique you refer to only describes the shape of the skin scar. How the breast tissue is reshaped and supported is a more important factor in determining the long term result. Breast implants alone are not a better choice for you. They would make your breasts larger but would not address the sagging. Schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift?

+2

If you want the breasts lifted without more volume then you do not need implants.   A vertical or "Wise" pattern reduction can be performed. Good luck.

A Breast Lift Is A Good Choice

+2

If you are happy with the current size of your breasts then you do not need an implant. You appear to have adequate breast volume and I think a lift alone is a good choice. To get an idea of your breast volume you can raise your hands over your head; or grasp the skin of the lower breast with your fingers, and tuck the excess skin toward the inframammary crease under the breast to raise the breast tissue while tightening the skin around it. If you are happy with this size, then all you need is a breast lift.
Your current nipple position appears to be several centimeters below the level of the inframammary crease, and your nipples angle downward. I do not think that a “lollipop” (circumvertical) lift will be sufficient to shape the breast properly. Instead, I think you need a full breast lift. This requires adding a scar in the inframammary crease, by reducing the excess vertical laxity in the skin envelope, and results in an anchor-pattern scar.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

A Vertical Mastopexy (breast lift) is a really good choice for lifting your breasts

+2

From your pictures you seem to be an ideal candidate for a breast lift (mastopexy). It appears that you have a long distance from your inframamary fold to the desired new position on your breast so you would probably be best treated with a Weiss Pattern (anchor or inverted T) incision rather than a lollipop incision. It is important that your surgeon know how to cone your breast shape and to fix your breast higher on you chest wall. Make sure you are seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of experience. Ask to see photos. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD