African American Seeking Laser Hair Removal?

HI, I have medium brown skin tone and coarse black hair. I am looking for a good laser for hair removal... permanently. I have tried a diode laser without any results...then I tried the ND-Yag and although the treatment hurt, I barely had any hair in the area after just two sessions. There is a salon near me that is offering a deal with the The Lyra Yag, The LightSheer Diode and the Starlux by Palomar. are these better lasers for me? which one should I use?

Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment

+1
Thank you for your question A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. Best of luck! 

Sciton is your answer

+1

Sorry to hear your recent treatments have not been as successful as expected.  Darker skin tones make laser hair reduction more challenging.  You definitely need to look at the 1064 Nd:YAG platforms for treating you.  I personally use the Sciton system and feel it is the most effective and safe for all skin types.  Check the company out online.  Dr. S.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser hair removal in an African American

+1

The long-pulsed Nd:YAG (1,064 nm) laser is considered safe and effective for the treatment of unwanted hair in dark-skinned persons. It is considered to be superior to other methods of hair removal. The Nd:YAG laser has been shown to yield a high rate of satisfaction in terms of hair reduction. Look for a physician's office with a good deal of experience in laser hair removal.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

African American Laser Hair Removal

+1

For hair removal in patients with darker skin it is generally considered that the safest device is the 1064nm Nd:YAG laser. There are a number of manufacturers that make high quality lasers with this wavelength. I would not seek out the cheapest place available as it may not be the safest. With laser procedures always try to find an experienced place and physician.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lightsheer Duet

+1

You can get excellent results from Lightsheer Duet. That is the new laser from Lumenis which does not hurt. The settings can be adjusted to make it safe for darker skin. I am not very familiar with the Lyra Yag and Starlux but I can tell you that Lightsheer Duet is considered to be one of the best lasers for hair reduction.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer:

This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal

+1

Thank you for your question. You must be VERY careful with salons offering hair removal treatments. You should always be supervised by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery as I have seen LOTS of complications when this was not followed, and people went for the bargain. When done in the wrong hands or on the wrong candidate, permanent scarring may occur. In general, I prefer Candela or Cynosure.   The Lyra is by formerly Laserscope, now Iridex.  A good laser, but not as complete as the Cynosure and Candela lasers. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist