Panniculectomy , drains?? How can a doctor know before surgery that I won't need drains? (photo)

I went to see a PS at Upstate Medical. He described the Panniculectomy procedure to me. He explained, because I have a low belly button, he will have to cut my pannus above my belly button leaving me, well, belly buttonless! He also said I won't have any drains. I'm happy about that, I guess?? I thought it was a package deal Panniculectomy , drains?? I'm having a hard time picturing how I will look. If I get this done as he described to me can I get a new belly button in the future? I'm so confused.

Panniculectomy , drains?? How can a doctor know before surgery that I won't need drains?

+1
Hi and thanks for your question. A paniculectomy is basically carried out very similar to a tummy tuck. The pannus is that position of skin and fat to be removed. I would caution you to do lots and lots of research. 

I have been performing tummy tucks for over 29 years in Miami, Florida. Many have been done on patients with significant weight loss after gastric bypass, sleeve, bands or just plain diet and exercise. I have always used the patient's belly button and brought it out at its new position on the skin after removing the excess. When performing this procedure in patients after major weight loss, there is a very large space that requires draining for fear of a seroma or hematoma. If you are confused, you shouldn't be. I would advise you to get a second and third opinions. Good luck