What is the Difference Between Liposuction and Liposculpture?

I am a 37 year old mother of 2 with a bit of a pouch - I thought I may need a mini tuck but the doctor laughed at me so my question is - does lipo sculpture tighten that loose skin up?

+1

Liposuction and liposculpture represent the same thing.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction and liposculpture

+1

Are synonymous.  This s just a marketing tool. Neither will tighten loose skin and in most of the patients I see, the laser would have a minimal effect.  Mini-abdominoplasty is suitable for only a small segment of patients.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposculpture is a marketing gimmick.

+1

Hi.

Unfortunately, in cosmetic surgery very little of what you hear is based on science.  Tumescent liposuction is the technique with the best record of good results and safety. But if you have a lot of loose skin, liposuction alone may not help you.  You may in fact need a tummy tuck.  Were you talking to a dermatologist?  Because they don't do tummy tucks. Get another opinion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction, lipostructure, fat transfer

+1

Liposuction and liposculpture are synonyms.  They are the same thing.   Liposculpture is just a merchandising term to set someones services apart.  The quality of the result is dependent on the surgeon's skill rather than the surgeon's merchandising term.  Lipostructure is a registered trademark used by Dr. Sydney Coleman in New York.  It refers to his technique of fat transfer.

Ralph W. Bashioum, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Is there a distinction between liposuction and liposculpture?

+1

Hi and thank you for your question.

I think the term liposculpture was developed to describe using liposuction to sculpt the physical form that the surgeon desires to create. So really, liposculpture is liposuction. All of us who perform liposuction are "sculpting" fat essentially.

To answer your second question: liposuction will not tighten loose skin. That being said, a minimal amount of skin laxity can sometimes be tightened with the use of a laser. The laser I use in my practice for this purpose is similar to the laser used in smart liposuction, however it is more effective because I can direct the laser to the undersurface of the skin to create a maximal tightening effect from the laser. The smart lipo laser can not actually be directed at the undersurface of the skin.

Hope this helps!

David Cangello, MD

Liposuction v liposculpture

+1

There is really no difference between liposuction and liposculpture.  It is really a marketing term.  I will admit that I sometimes use it, but in reality, the procedure is the same. And to your second question, liposuction will not tighten skin.  If your surgeon laughed at your question, maybe its time to talk to someone else. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon