Will my polly beak deformity come back after revision surgery? (photos)

I am almost one year post surgery, and have a very prominent polly beak. I am going in for revision in 2 weeks. What should i expect from surgery and will this polly beak come back? Very worried my nose has been ruined forever :(

Improvement of polly beak deformity

+1
Surgical revision of polly beak is usually successful when performed by a surgeon experienced in revision rhinoplasty.  Your photo shows a significant polly beak with multiple components including loss of tip support, excess prominence of the supratip which may be from underresection or from scar tissue and probable overresection of the bony nasal dorsum.  All of these areas will need to be addressed for yield a successful outcome.  Best of luck.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will my polly beak deformity come back after revision surgery?

+1
    The revision rhinoplasties that I can done to correct this issue were successful, and I have found this to yield very predictable results.  However, your surgeon is in a far better position to give advice.

Polly beak

+1
A polly beak can develop from scar tissue, or from inadequate resection of the dorsal septum or over-resection of the bony dorsum.  A full analysis in person is necessary.

Polly beak ( supratip deformity) correction: how successful?

+1
You have a fairly pronounced polly beak ( supratip excess), and from the pictures, it appears that the upper part of the dorsal profile was lowered more than ideal, and the tip projection was probably lost some resulting in the polly beak. In addition, scar tissue in the supratip can contribute.  I think it is important that your surgeon have a plan that can address all of these issues.  Simply lowering the cartilage more in the supratip area may not give you the desired result.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Nasal proportion is key

+1
Be sure you understand from discussion with your surgeon how he plans to alter the various proportions of the nose relative to the other. From your photograph it appears that in addition to the overprojection of the lower part of the bridge (the actual polybeak area), the upper part of your nose has been taken down too much and needs to be built back up some to match. Computer imaging can help you visualize this, and it's even possible to perform non-surgical rhinoplasty, injecting the upper part with filler to help you visualize this prior to actually committing to formal surgery.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Predicting poly-beak deformity

+1
we really can't tell you whether or not it's going to come back.  So long as her surgeon does a nice job of aligning the surface of the mid vault or cartilage portion of your nasal bridge with the bone portion of her nasal bridge along with proper cartilage grafting such as spreader grafts to prevent an inverted V deformity when trying to treat a Polly beak deformity you should do fine.  We really can't predict or gas was going to happen with you but if you have chosen a surgeon who has a lot of evidence of there revision rhinoplasty work then you should be in good hands.  Hopefully he did not find the cheapest surgeon available who doesn't possess the skills and the evidence of there revision work.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD
Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon