Doesn't General Anesthesia Cause Alot of Complications That is Why Many Surgeons Now Use Local?

I was always told that general anesthesia causes alot of complications during surgery and that is why many surgeons here in the states as well as out of the country are now performing plastic surgery procedures under local anesthesia instead. So why is it that brazilian butt lift is still done under general anesthesia? And what are the complications doing this procedure under general anesthesia?

Surgery and anesthesia

+1

There is no increased risk for anesthesia in healthy patients who are having surgery.You will be screened and evaluated to make sure that you can safely have the procedure. More importantly with the brazilian butt lift it is impossible to do a great job with the patient being comfortable and safe under local anesthesia.

Brazilian Butt Lift & liposuciton with local anesthesia

+1

Liposuction and Brazilian butt lift can be performed under local or general anesthesia by a trained plastic surgeon. Some studies show an increased risk of complications when liposuction is performed under general anesthesia. General anesthesia is safe in healthy individuals. In our practice, we have mastered the art of liposuction and Brazilian butt lift or BBL under local. We have safely performed over 100 BBL and over 1000 laser liposuction under local. We offer our patient the option of local vs general anesthesia.

Basically, do your research and select a plastic surgeon who is experienced in local anesthesia.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Surgery and anesthesia complications

+1

Dear Mandy,

Anesthesia risks in healthy individuals are very low. While some small liposuction procedures can be done under local anesthesia, there are limits of local anesthesia overdose. More importantly, real sculpting is often impeded under local anesthesia. I believe in performing more advanced procedures under anesthesia in healthy patients as the risks of anesthesia are minimal and I am able to provide them better results that are not hindered by patients pain during the procedure. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS