Is it extremely odd for a DR to RECOMMEND tuba incision?

I sent my pictures to dr whos receptionist said that the dr said I would be a perfect candidate for tuba.Im shocked and told her most drs shy away from tuba or refuse to do it at all, and she said "that's because this dr. is the best at tuba" I would be open to this method if I was sure that I would have no complications. I cant help but feel he just wants to experiment on me. I know he is board certified, and hundreds of woman on this site are buzzing about him. should I trust him?

TUBA

+1
TUBA is not a technique that most surgeons perform because it requires special training. However, I have performed TUBA for years. It is safe and actually involves a shorter recovery period than other breast augmentation techniques.

Do your research and find out more about your surgeon if you don't feel comfortable about him. 

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Trust your instinct

+1
It is best to go with your instinct. Your doctor may be in fact the "best at tuba" but the method is not popular due to its difficulties in achieving satisfying results.

However, please note that there are possible complications and risks associated with all breast augmentation methods. The most common complications to consider with the TUBA approach are inaccurate implant placement, the ability to only have saline implants, and the placement of incisions in another site if revision surgery is necessary.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Is TUBA a Good Choice?

+1
No, I wouldn't say it's "extremely odd" for a doctor to recommend a TUBA procedure. If you have not discussed every aspect of breast augmentation in terms of your overall goals, however, then I might say that recommending transumbilical breast augmentation seems premature. Your plastic surgeon needs to evaluate your physique and understand what you're hoping to achieve, then talk with you about the best way to get there. This includes the type of implant (silicone vs. saline), size and placement. Incision options are secondary to these key decisions.

There are not many plastic surgeons who perform the TUBA procedure. That doesn't mean you can't get a good result with TUBA, but I would make sure your doctor does lots of these surgeries and that the constraints TUBA places on the other aspects of breast augmentation are ok with you.

Before you make your final decisions, I would advise you to consult at least one other board certified plastic surgeon and go in with a clean slate. Start with your goals and see what he or she recommends.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

TUBA procedure

+1
While it is true that not many plastic surgeons perform the TUBA, there are plastic surgeons who have been properly trained and have developed expertise in this operation.  I have many satisfied TUBA patients.  However, since the silicone implants have become so popular, the demand for the TUBA has diminished because the TUBA can only be performed with saline implants. It is important that the operation is appropriate for each patient and that the surgeon does not try to have all patients have the same operation.  If you have an interest in silicone implants, the TUBA is not for you.  Also, if you have a low degree of body fat, silicone implants may be better for you.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Tuba

+1
Doctors are like cooks. They all have their own technique(recipe) for surgery. If you are comfortable with surgeon and like his results you should be fine. Complications may occur with any approach. Good luck. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

If you have concerns, get second opinion

+1
You should trust your surgeon and be comfortable about his/her recommendations. If your have concerns, get second opinion.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

TUBA breast augmentation

+1
To answer your question it is not odd to offer TUBA breast augmentation to the right patient. In appropriate candidates for saline breast augmentation, the TUBA procedure actually is a very good option as there aren't any visible scars. You should go to an in person consultation and then base your decision upon the results shown to you of other patients that had the TUBA procedure. I would caution you to be  wary of anyone touting themselves as being the best in any one particular procedure. I perform more than 50 TUBA procedures per year which may be the highest in the NY area. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Question

+1
In general, tuba procedures involve saline implants above the muscle. Is this want you want? I tend to use an inframammary (in the breast crease) incision or a periareolar (around the areola) incision and normally place the implant in a subpectoral (below the muscle) pocket.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

TUBA

+1
How can you make up your mind with a phone call. Very few doctors do that procedure for various reasons, in general , a more standard approach gives a better result with a better implant. Get some in person consultations with a local plastic surgeon.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

The TUBA procedure

+1
I can tell you that your doctor is definitely NOT the best at the TUBA because I am!!  I have done over 5000 TUBA procedures over the past 23 years, more than anyone in the world.  I do them above the muscle or below the muscle.  Still, like all breast augmentation approaches, the TUBA has its pros and cons.  One of the downsides of the TUBA is that it can only be done with saline-filled implants.  Although I have given lectures and published papers on the TUBA procedure, I tend to like silicone gel implants more so this limits the usefulness of the TUBA procedure.  If your doctor is strongly pushing this approach then I would be somewhat suspicious as well.  It's a nice approach if you want saline implants but I would make sure your doctor is qualified.  A lot of non- American Board of Plastic Surgery- certified doctors are using the TUBA approach with disastrous results.  This is one reason you don't hear about it as much as you do other approaches.  It is being abused by non-qualified doctors.  Contrary to Dr. Neinstein's response, the learning curve for the TUBA is really not that high.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD