How to Chose the Right Doctor?

im 25 years old 130 pounds 5'5 had a baby two years ago and my breast became so ugly that makes me cry every time i look at then,i need to get some idea of what to look when looking for my breast surgery

Breast augmentation surgeon.

+2

I think that the first place to start is to go to the ASPS or ASAPS website to look for surgeons in your area. Make sure that they are board certified.  Ask friends as well who they went to and if they were happy with the results.

Don't Cry

+2

You should pick a board certified plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and are able to communicate with easily. In a perfect world, it would be great if they were recommended by a friend. Make sure they operate in an accredited surgery center and use board certified Anesthesiologists. Make sure to ask the doc if he/she thinks you need a lift (mastopexy) because it is often a necessary part of the "mommy-makeover" procedure. Good luck. Don't cry anymore...going to be OK.

Joshua B. Hyman, MD

Breast Augmentation Doctors

+1

You should always try to find a board certified plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentation procedures each year.

Best Plastic Surgeon for Breast Augmentation

+1

Finding the best surgeon for a natural looking result from breast augmentation

When considering breast augmentation surgery, I believe that the most important question for a prospective patient to ask themselves is this: Am I seeking a natural-appearing result? If the answer is yes, then seek out a surgeon who has the same aesthetic sensibility that you have (and appropriate training and experience). And insist on seeing `before and after' photos. A lot of them.

I have never understood the desire on the part of patients or physicians (especially physicians) to create unnaturally large breasts. I see 'before and after' photos at plastic surgery meetings and I almost always find myself asking the question: What's the `big' idea?

I view breast augmentation as more than a breast enhancement surgery. It is a total body contouring surgery, and the breast profile that one creates with implants should match a patient's overall figure. It should appear completely plausible that the breasts have not been surgically enhanced. I want for my patient's appearance to make others think "Wow - what a great figure", not "I wonder who her plastic surgeon is".

Over and over I hear patients remark, after reviewing some of our `before and after' photos, that they had no idea that a breast augmentation could look so natural. It can, and in my opinion it should. Having practiced plastic surgery in the 'breast augmentation capital of the world' (Los Angeles), and having performed hundreds of breast augmentations in North Carolina for patients who are seeking a breast enhancement that looks like it actually is a natural part of their body, I have developed some fairly strong opinions about this operation.

it is important to discuss the following with your plastic surgeon

Cohesive silicone gel vs. saline breast implants
How many cc's? - deciding on implant volume
Incision locations
Subpectoral vs prepectoral implant position
Attention to detail in breast augmentation
Breast augmentation after pregnancy
Special considerations: asymmetry, tuberous/constricted breasts, etc
Recovery and downtime
Avoiding capsular contracture
Revisional breast augmentation surgery
Of course select a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and perhaps a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Viewing many photographs can also help you to determine whether or not a plastic surgeon shares your aesthetic sensibility

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to choose the right surgeon

+1

There are a lot of factors when choosing a surgeon. Board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is very important. Look at before and after photos and get an idea if the surgeon has the same aesthetic taste as you do. Read online reviews. Visit with a few local surgeons and you should be able to determine if one or more of them seem trustworthy to you. Ask if you can talk to some of his/her previous patients. Ask to talk with a few patients that have had complications to see how things are handled in the off chance that your surgery does not go exactly as planned. Cost variation should not be your determining factor.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to Chose the Right Doctor

+1

There are some basic elements to verify:

1) The experience and expertise of the plastic surgeon.

2) The philosophy and aesthetic sense of the surgeon to ensure that it is consistent with your own. Before and After photos will be helpful in this regard. 

3) The experience and expertise of the MD Anesthesiologist.

4) The quality of the operating facility.

5) The experience and expertise of the staff.

6) The duration that the surgical team including the anesthesiologist has worked together.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Choosing the Right Plastic Surgeon

+1

An excellent question. In checking the plastic surgeons in your area, before scheduling a consultation make sure the surgeon is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, then find out if the facility is accredited, and ask if the anesthesiologist is Board Certified. Then if possible have 2 or 3 consultations to see who you feel most comfortable with. Look at before and after pictures of actual patients to see the type of work the surgeon does. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

How to find the right plastic surgeon

+1

Anyone with an M.D. degree (and even some without an M.D. degree) can call themselves a plastic surgeon these days.  There is no regulation on who can perform cosmetic surgery.  With that in mind, I would offer the following suggestions:

1. Select a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS), the only board recognized by the AMA for the training and certification of plastic surgeons.

2. Ask friends who have plastic surgery previously about their experience and who they would recommend.

3. Ask to speak to one or more former patients about their experience.

4. Look at before/after pictures of the procedure that you are considering.

5. Above all, make sure that you feel comfortable with the surgeon you choose.  This is the person who will be operating on you and you want to make sure you are good with that.  Make sure that he spends adequate time answering questions, doesn't rush through your consultation, and will be there if you have a complication.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Finding Right Doctor for Breast Surgery?

+1

You are wise doing your due diligence carefully  in the selection of plastic surgeon.  Only in person consultation will provide you with the detailed information you should obtain prior to making any decisions about proceeding with surgery.

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate him on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Make sure you communicate your goals carefully with your plastic surgeon.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Choosing a surgeon

+1

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.
Ask about volume of breast enlargement cases--one a week or more seems reasonable. Ask to see patient photos. Ask to try on  implants to help you and your surgeon pick a size--it may not be the exact size that looks good with the trial implants.
Try in advance to think about your size goal, be prepared to discuss the possible need for a breast lift.
Thank you for your question, best wishes.