Any Chance of Eventually Lowering This Scar? It Was Supposed to Be About an Inch Lower? (photo)

I am 10 days post op. The scar was supposed to be about an inch or so lower. As it sits right now my underwear and bathing suits do not cover up the center of the scar. Needless to say I am not a patient patient and am not thrilled about where the scar sits. I was looking forward to wearing low rise pants and bathing suits once healed.

Tummy tuck revision to lower an abdominoplasty scar

+1

There are options for correcting the position of this scar.  Quite obviously, you will have to wait some time for the first tummy tuck to heal. Once the healing is done, you may be somewhat happier with the scar. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Any Chance of Eventually Lowering This Scar? It Was Supposed to Be About an Inch Lower?

+1

I frequently see patients with higher scars than patients would like.  These scars can almost always be lowered by a series of maneuvers in a few months to a year following the initial surgery.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and tummy tuck revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lowering a tummy tuck scar

+1

can be done but it takes time for your body to heal and some looseness to develop as you look rather 'tight'.  You have to realize the lowering of the scar will not be by a lot so please understand what will be achieved before signing up.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

With poor pre operative planning and patient understanding the results can be quite troubling. Sorry no way to lower the scar/incision. 

You Can Always Lower the Scar Later

+1

It appears that your scar is quite high and the incision is quite long given your preoperative photo but don't despair.  If you're not satisfied with the location of your scar when most of the swelling has subsided and the tissues have softened and relaxed, you can have a revisional procedure to fix the problem.  Some more tissue should be excised below your current scar, the abdominal flap should be elevated up to the level of the belly button and then the abdominal wall should be re-inset LOWER!  Be patient, this is not a difficult procedure and you should be able to lower the scar to the point that you can hide the scar more easily...good luck!

Eric Sadeh, MD

Lower Scar after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Although your concerns and goals are completely understandable, at this point there is no good option but continued patience. It is possible that there will be enough skin elasticity approximately one year from now to lower the scar. If your initial surgeon was not a board-certified plastic surgeon, or simply for your own peace of mind, seek additional consultations at that time.