Breast reduction & TT risks?

I'm having a combined procedure BR/lift and modified tummy tuck as I don't haven enough skin to excise the original belly button so will also have a vertical scar. with the 2 procedures at once is there a compromise as br will be taking skin upwards direction whereas TT will be pulling skin in the opposite direction. I'm worried there is a trade off here especially as I don't have enough skin to pull down for traditional TT and what is usually done first in a combined procedure. BR or TT.

Breast reduction & TT risks?

+1
You have valid questions for the procedures you are seeking.  Normally, I would have very little reservations combining the breast and tummy procedures together.  However, you describe a unique situation in which you don't have enough abdominal skin and require a vertical scar for proper closure.  Without examining you, I would defer to the expert that you've seen that has deemed the combination appropriate.  One concern would be the length of the vertical scar.  When necessary, I too make short vertical scars with tummy tucks but try to limit the length so as to stay within the panty coverage area.  This may be a question for your surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedures or techniques will work best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction & TT risks?

+1
That's a pretty common question because it certainly seems wrong to pull both up and down at the same time. In fact one operation will not have any effect on the other. It is very uncommon to not get the belly button hole out and still keep a low scar, although that happens.Ask if your surgeon uses progressive advancement sutures in the closure as that has been a dramatic improvement in getting the belly button hole out on patients where it previously was not possible.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Combined Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck

+1
Typically the breast reduction will be done first and it may improve your upper abdomen a bit.

It will not influence your lower abdominal scar from the tummy tuck.....it's just too far away.
The vertical scar at the lower abdomen to remove the slit where the belly button used to come through usually turns out well and is a good trade for a tighter abdomen for most women.

Best of luck for a quick recovery and good outcome!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck

+1
That is a good thought.  The breast reduction/lift and tummy tuck do not compete with one another in opposite directions.  Every surgeon is different as to his/her sequence.  There is no right or wrong answer.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

TT and breast reduction together or separate

+1
It is hard to give you advice without seeing photos or having an examination. If your upper abdomen does not bother you too much you may be able to do a mini rather than a modified. In that case you do not have a vertical scar down below, but you do not improve the area above the umbilicus.
I do not think that separate procedures are much of an advantage as you need 2 recovery times and the costs of anesthesia and operating room separate are higher as well. Usually if you can not have the opening from the umbilicus pulled all the way down, it leaves only a small vertical scar that usually is low down and not a major factor.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

TT and Breast Reduction

+1
This is a very astute observation.
These two procedures are very often done together with great success. There really is no scientific evidence that one compromises the other. In fact the breast lift or reduction could potentially end up improving the results of the tummy tuck. This would be especially true if the high lateral tension abdominoplasty with liposuction is performed.
Every case is different so if you and your plastic surgeon determine that the results would be better if done separately then you need to take that into consideration. But be aware that this combination is both very common and very successful.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon