What Nutritional Advice, if Any, Do You Give to Your Tummy Tuck Patients?

What advice, if any, do you give to your Tummy Tuck patients on nutrition and/or supplements before and after surgery?

Nutrition

+2

Dear PlantStrongMom,

Your name suggest the best diet - plant strong diet. I recommend to all my patients 2 books -  "sugar busters"  and  "engine 2 diet"  The 1st book talks about low glycemic index food which explains the physiology of weight gain and the 2nd book is about Vegan diet which is very helpful in regard to your health.  There are 2 eating trigers in humans - blood sugar that is regulated by Insulin and stomach pressure which is regulated by pressure nerve receptors in the stomach walls. Low glycemic food will control your weight by stabilizing the blood sugar and consequently reduce the Insulin secretion and Tummy tuck will reduce your appetite and the amount of food that you can eat, by tightening your muscles and increasing the pressure in your somach. I hope this is helpful.

Dr Widder

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins & a TT??

+2

Yes, you are correct. There are certain things a patient can do to decrease untoward events with a Tummy Tucks. First, talk with your surgeon for their personnel recommendations/ approach. They may request a blood test to determine your nutritional status especially, if you are a massive weight loss patient.
Some surgeons like to start their patients on iron/ folic acid supplements 3 to 4 weeks pre-operatively to boast their hemoglobin and decrease the incidence of peri-operative DVT/ PE. Others like Vitamin C supplements 2 weeks pre-operatively to assist in healing after surgery. We also, utilize Vitamin A after surgery to aid in healing because steroids are often administered to decrease nausea and swelling after surgery.
Most importantly consider not being constipated before and after your surgery. Some surgeons utilize a bowel prep to assist their patients in this endeavor. We prefer to tell our patients to start on a soft mechanical diet such as eggs, tuna fish, chicken salad, etc. and continue it after their surgery. Duccolox suppositories are often an assistance in the post operative period after a Tummy Tuck.
Hope this is informative to you. The components of care discussed are part of the critical pathway utilized in our practice to decrease adverse events and unfavorable outcomes in our patients undergoing Lipo-Abdominoplasty’s. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Nutritional Advice

+1
If they are too heavy for a good result from surgery, I tell them to loose weight. If they are having surgery not to gain weight before are after surgery. In general surgery should be delayed for patients who are in the process of dieting for an optimal result. A balanced diet is also recommended.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Nutrition prior to surgery

+1

I typically recommend vit c and zinc (glass of orange juice), high protein diet, resting well,  and staying well hydrated.   Depending on your comorbidities and risk factors, more detailed recommendations may be indicated.   I hope this helps.

Dr. GIll

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

The one thing I caution patients about with regard to nutrition after a tummy tuck is to avoid weight gain.  Weight gain after tummy tuck is one of the greatest sources of dissappointment  post tummy tuck.  It's easy to put on weight after surgery especially since many patients cannot return to full exercise for,about a month.   I instruct my patients to weigh themselves on a regular basis  after any body contouring procedures.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

What Nutritional Advice Do You Give to Your #TummyTuck Patients? ANS:

+1

Nothing too involved! Increase protein a bit and avoid medications that increase your chance of bleeding, like aspirin and Motrin and no extra Vitamin E!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Nutrition following cosmetic procedure?

+1

Two points:  1.  DON'T GAIN WEIGHT after tummy tuck.  Generally, this sabotages the result, and 2.  Counteract narcotic induced constipation during early post surgical period as needed to maintain "transit time.".  If you don't move bowels afterward, abdominal pain can be excruciating.  Protein, micronutrients, hydration, and adequate rest are important.

Steve Laverson, MD

Nutrition for Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Before a tummy tuck, or any elective surgery, one must get the appropriate and necessary nutrients to optimize wound healing. There are various supplements available on the market, so the advice of a your private physician and a licensed nutritionist is extremely valuable. In general, eating a diet that's balanced in intake of protein, carbohydrates, and fatty acids, along with a wide range of vitamins and minerals is best. Specifically, zinc and vitamin C will aid in wound healing. Protein, in various forms, is great for that as well. A blood sample can easily tell you about any specific nutrient deficiency and can help guide your search. Good luck and hope this helps.

Daniel Kaufman, MD

Getting Ready for your Tummy Tuck-What to do before surgery

+1

obviously it is always helpful to be and live healty at all time, but especially before any major surgery such as a tummy tuck. Most importantly, patients that have had massive wieght loss either by gastric bypass surgery or extreme dieting tend to be anemic, as well as deficient on thier vitamins and minerals. I recommend patients to take Iron supplements and multivitamins before surgery. We do offer intravenous Vitamin therapy prior and after surgery for patients who have significant vitamin deficiency.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

If you are healthy generally no supplements are really needed.

+1

Thank you for the question.  If you have not had gastric bypass or any other type of intestinal surgery that results in poor absorption of nutrients and you are otherwise healthy with a balanced diet you generally would not need any additional supplements.  A multivitamin may be beneficial and of course drinking plenty of water during your recovery.  Some patients also choose to take Arnica for bruising but its generally not needed unless you are also having liposuction.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD