Is a Nurse Practitioner Qualified to Inject Radiesse?

A nurse practitioner who trained under a Plastic Surgeon administers Radiesse at her spa. Should I feel safe with her vs. plastic surgeon? How can I be sure of her expertise with injecting and sculpting?

Nurse practitioners are allowed to do Radiesse and are usually trained by the company or physician.

+1

Nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and registered nurses are allowed by law to administer injectable fillers in most states. As with physicians, your comfort should be determined by your interaction with the injector, your research on their experience and training, testimonials, and pictures, if available. Make sure to ask plenty of questions to the point where you feel comfortable with your injector regardless of their certification.

Regarding Radiesse, specifically, Bioform (the company) goes through some length to make sure that each injector has been trained to administer Radiesse in the proper way. Physicians also train their nurse practitioners, nurses, and PAs to inject properly.

That being said, some physicians may not spend the extra time to make sure it is done appropriately and quality controls may not be consistent. Also, a nurse practitioner, nurse, or PA may bypass the company training if a physician hires that person and does the training him/herself.

In my honest opinion, I would be careful with nurses and physician extenders doing fillers without physician supervision. For your peace of mind, it would likely be best to seek a filler injection at your physician's office.

Good luck!

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Nurse practitioners and Radiesse

+1

It really depends on which nurse practitioner and there really is no way to be sure of someone's expertise - you can ask to see photos of some results to get a better idea. In general, I recommend consulting with a physician in a cosmetically-oriented specialty including facial plastic surgery, dermatology, oculoplastic surgery.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Nurse Radiesse injector

+1

This depends on state and regional regulations and restrictions. Clearly, the advice would be based on knowledge of her experience, which may be difficult to judge.

You may want to check her standing with her professional society, as well as references from other patients.