I Am a Nurse at a Nursing Home How Long Would I Be Unable to Lift Patients when Necessary?

I at times have to lift pt from the floor or help pull them up in bed I want to have breast implants placed but can't be off work more than a week. So how long would I need to tell my boss I would be on light duty

6 weeks is safe

+1
You'll most likely not be able to lift anything until about 6 weeks after your surgery. However, please ask your surgeon as they may have different advice.

Time off lifting after breast augmentation?

+1

I generally recommend 2 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation before lifting >25 lbs. There are some maneuvers that definitely help. I instruct my patients to keep their elbows at their sides when lifting which uses the biceps muscles and not the chest or pectoralis muscles. Your body will not let you lift more than it can handle, but finding this out with a patient down is too late. This would be best discussed with your surgeon.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after breast augmentation

+1

Postoperative care and instruction vary surgeon to surgeon.  I usually have my patients take couple days off from work after breast augmentation; I ask them not to lift heavy objects or work out for about 4 weeks.  Given that your work is hard and involve lifting patients, you should be on light duty for at least 4-5 weeks.  You should also check with your plastic surgeon for her/his recommendation.  Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD

Light Duty After Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

I find that women who have demanding jobs like yourself, should take off the maximum amount of days allowed. In your case, 1 week will not suffice. While it is not necessary to disclose the type of surgery you had, recommending light duty for at least 2 more weeks in the form of a Dr's excuse is often acceptable to employers. Please make sure this is the case before you commit to your procedure.

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Lifting After Breast Augmentation

+1

For implants being placed under the muscle, I would recommend 2 weeks before you use your chest and shoulder muscles to any great degree.  After that, you can gradually increase your movement and the weight that you lift.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

No heavy lifting for two to three weeks

+1

I think heavy lifting after breast surgery should be avoided for two to three weeks.  This also depends on the amount of weight... In your job three weeks would be ideal

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

You'll need at least two weeks to avoid heavy lifting

+1

From my experience, patients that work in nursing homes do a lot more work than they realize. This involves not only lifting patients but also helping patients move and carrying heavy objects. If you are off work for one week then when you return make sure you're not doing any heavy work for at least a week. This is not only for your comfort but he could also cause complications such as a late postoperative hematoma.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

How Long Would I Be Unable to Lift Patients when Necessary?

+1

I think your plan to take a week off is sensible given your occupation. Two weeks of light duty should suffice. After that, it may well hurt to move a heavy patient, but it is most unlikely that you could do any harm to yourself.