Nurse Only Follow Up Visit After Rhinoplasty, Is that Normal?

Hi, i am considering a primary rhinoplasty this year. I thought i had picked a good surgeon. i will be traveling 3 1/2 hours away one way for follow ups and so forth. When i called there office today to ask to see the surgeon for my very firt appt. after surgery she said no. This is a nurse visit. the nurse will take care of everything. She told me the surgeon will see me on my next follow up . Is this correct? Or should i worry? thanks! Christy

+2

Very hard to answer, each practice handles postoperative care differently. And is determined by each individual surgeon.  like to do ALL my postoperative examine, since I did the operation. 

Nurse versus Doctor

+2

In my practice, I see all of my patients pre-op and post-op for every visit.  Some practices have nurses do the follow up care, but I feel it is important for the surgeon to be involved as they are they only person who knows what happened in surgery and and what to expect.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Different practices have different protocols.

+2

I personally do all my post operative care.  Different practices have different protocols.  Some practices have Fellows (surgeons in training) remove the dressings while other practices have nurses do the dressing removal.  I would not let this be the deciding factor in choosing your surgeon.  The body of their work and your comfort level with the surgeon is more important.  Board Certification by the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery, The American Board of Otolaryngology, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery or The American Board of Plastic Surgery is advisable.  Warmest regards.

Dr. PIppin

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nurse Only Followup Visit after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is very, very unusual that I don't see my rhinolasty patients during visits following rhinoplasty.  My office will schedule visits when I'm present  whenever possible, but if I'm out of town my patients may rarely be seen by my partner. My nurse, who has been with me for 16 years, is intimately involved in the care of my patients but does not see them alone.

Posoperative visits - doctor or nurse?

+1

Each physician has a different protocol for postoperative care, what is done and by whom. I like to see my rhinoplasty patients every single visit after surgery feeling that this is very important particularly where a millimeter or two can make quite a bit of difference. Others may not see their rhinoplasty patients each time. In addition, since you are traveling such a great distance, it would not be unreasonable for you to request that the doctor sees you at your visits. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Follow up after rhinoplasty

+1

I personally prefer to see all of my patients for surgical follow up.  Each practice is different in this regard, however.  I do occasionally have my nurses see one-day post op patients to answer questions but the visit for splint removal and initial assessment after rhinoplasty is with me.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

I like to see all my patients post-op as I performed the Rhinoplasty, Face Lift, Cheek Implants etc. not the nurse.  Nurses can assist in the visit but not make any determination about progress as they have never performed the operation...IMHO.  I believe, the most important factor in selecting a plastic and cosmetic surgeon for Rhinoplasty or any procedure is the ability, for the surgeon..not the nurse) to understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty.