Can I Nurse After Breast Augmentation?

I am 30 years old with almost no breast tissue even before pregnancies. I would like to get breast augmentation to be an average size (5'4" 115 lbs) but I'm planning on having more children. Is it okay to get implants before I finish having children if I am planning on nursing them? If so, how long do I need to wait before I get pregnant after getting implants? Can I get implants during pregnancy? Would nursing make a diff. in the size I should choose? type of implant? and incision location?

Breast augmentation does not impact ability to breast feed

+2

A breast augmentation procedure will not impact your ability to breast feed in most cases.  Certain procedures such as placing the implant via a areola incision may impact it slightly if ducts are cut but a breast fold incision should have no impact at all.  If your are definiely trying to have another child it may be best to wait and get your breast augmentation afterwards as pregnancy may impact your breast augmentation result.

All the best

Dr Repta

A female doctor's perspective on nursing with implants.

+1

The majority of women can successfully nurse after breast augmentation.  I myself had one baby before breast implants and one baby after breast implants, so I can speak from experience. The only difference for me was that my breasts got bigger with the second pregnancy, because they started bigger.  I did not find that nursing was any different, and my breasts look pretty much the same after all was said and done. 

There are many factors (with mom and with baby) that go into a woman's ability to successfully breast feed.  A standard breast augmentation does not significantly alter the breast gland itself.  (I generally recommend subpectoral placement for women who plan to have children but that is not an absolute.)  Not all women are able to breast feed even without previous breast surgery!

Mary Gingrass, MD

You can have breast implants before you have your next child but not when you are pregnant.

+1

Breast implants would still allow you to breast feed as long as the incision is not made at the areola. If you contemplating doing the surgery after you next pregnancy, you should wait at least three months following breast feeding. The size and type of implant is something you would need to discuss when you see a plastic surgeon in consultation.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Can you nurse after breast augmentation...

+1

You sound like a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  Having children after the procedure is perfectly fine as is nursing.  Unfortunately, you can not have a breast augmentation during pregnancy because of the anesthesia and the post op medications that are needed.  It is perfectly fine to get pregnant after the procedure, and by the time you are ready give birth you will certainly be healed.  Nursing should not affect the size of implant you choose, as well as the type, whether it be silicone or saline.  If you have any other questions about breast augmentation be sure to see a board certified plastic surgery.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding after augmentation

+1

Most women can breast feed after a breast augmentation, especially when the incision is placed in the fold and the implants are under the muscle. There is no time period to wait after breast augmentation surgery before you can get pregnant. You should avoid any elective surgery while you are pregnant, however. Good luck.

Donna Rich, MD

Breast Augmentation - Can I Nurse After Breast Augmentation?

+1

The vast majority of women who have breast implants and want to nurse are able to do so, so the fact that you've already been able to breast feed (some women cannot) is hopeful in this regard.  I think it's very likely that you'll be able to breast-feed after implants.  If you're planning on have more children any time soon I would advise deferring your breast implant surgery until you've finished.  The pregnancy and breast-feeding can change the volume and appearance of your breasts, and may therefore change the specifics of the procedure or procedure(s) you choose.  Finish with your pregnancies, wait several months (3-6) after you've stopped breast feeding, and then make a decision based on your appearance at that time.  I doubt that you will be able to get breast implants while you are pregnant or nursing; I would not do or advise that.  There are many factors that go into choosing both the implant type and the location of the incision but I do not feel that either of those implants the ability to breast feed. 

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Nursing after Breast Implants

+1

It is very unlikley that breast implants will interfere with your ability to nurse. The important thing to consider is that not every woman is able to breast feed (without implants). This may be especially true in women with small breasts because they may not be able to produce enough milk. There may be some truth to the idea that an incision in the breast fold may be less likely to damage the gland and milk ducts and be less likely to interfere with breast feeding. Also, placing the implant under the muscle may also preserve the intergrity of the gland and milk ducts. Saline or Silicone will not find its way into the milk.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Can I Nurse After Breast Augmentation?Answer:

+1

Almost all women can nurse after breast augmentation. Even with a periareolar incision it would be very rare to not be able to. I prefer an incision in the underarm, under the muscle and it is never an issue. As to when you should have it done, NOT during pregnancy, and I would wait 3 months after ending breast feeding but I don’t think you have to wait until after kids. Because you don’t have a lot of natural tissue to start with, I would not expect your breasts to change much with pregnancy.  

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding after implants

+1

It is OK to have implants before you have had all of your children and most patients are able to breast feed after augmentation surgery.  The place of the incision should not have an effect on breast feeding but you cannot have the surgery while you are pregnant.  There is no defined 'waiting period' after surgery before you get pregnant. Size and type of implant also should have no effect on breast feeding.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and breast feeding

+1

Breast implants and breast feeding questions are very common. Mainly because many women undergo breast augmentaation at child bearing age.  To answer your questions: yes it is fine to have breast augmentation before having children. Most women who were able to breast feed before breast augmentation will be able to do that after augmentation. You definilt can not get implants during pregnancy. nursing should not make a difference in the size of implant you choose. The size of the implants depends on what your body can accomodate and what you desire. You need a consultation with a plastic surgeon to address all these questions. you can also visit my website for more information.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD