Skin Numbness After Tummy Tuck

i just had a tummy tuck 7 days ago and i have numbness of my skin right between my rib cage all the way down to my belly button. is this normal and how long till the numbness goes away?

Numbness after tummy tuck

+1

The numbness you describe is absolutely normal and should improve over the coming months. Be patient, as it truly can take months to resolve.  You may also find that some of the numbness never goes away, but you won't know for sure until at least 18 months have passed.

Numbness after tummy tuck

+1

Yes, this is extremely common and will be most profound for the first 6 weeks after surgery and diminish thereafter. IT is very common to have persistent numbness immmediately below the umbilicus down to the pubic hairline.

Numbness after a tummy tuck

+1

There is of necessity some numbness of the abdominal wall from lifting up the skin and dividing its nerves.  Most will return after many months but you may have some permanent numbness below the belly button.  You won't know for sure until 2-3 years have passed.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Will resolve with time.

+1

This is normal.  During abdominoplasty the skin is lifted and tightened.  The small nerve endings to the skin are disprupted but regenerate over 6-12 months.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Skin Numbness After Tummy Tuck

+1

To perform the tummy tuck the loose tummy skin is lifted off the underlying muscles which are then tightened and the excess loose skin is removed. In the process, certain skin nerves are temporarily and permanently damaged. Skin sensation gradually returns to the entire tummy skin except for the area in the midline just above the Mons pubis. If you had a C-section or speak to a friend who had a C section, the same area of numbness is seen in these women as well.

Dr. Peter Aldea