Numbness on my Right Breast After 3 Months?

I had breast augmentation over 3 months ago and my right nipple as well as the lower part of my breast are still numb. It is normal? My left breast has all sensation. What is going on? Even when I shower and wash over my right breast it hurts, how? if its numb?

Numb nipple

+1
Thank you for your post. In general, most women who have a disturbance in nipple sensation, whether it be less (hypo-sensation), or in some cases too much (hyper-sensation), the sensation goes back to normal with 3-6 months. Occasionally, it can take 1 - 2 years to be normal. Extremely rare, the sensation never goes back to normal. This is extremely rare in augmentation alone, more common in lift or reduction but less with a smaller lift like a crescent lift. Signs that sensation is coming back are needle type sensation at the nipple, itchiness at the nipple, or 'zingers' to the nipple. The number of women that lose sensation is much lower than 10%, closer to 1% in a simple augmentation. In some cases the same occurs with contraction where some women have no contraction and some women have a constant contraction of the nipples. Unfortunately there is no surgical correction for this. Massaging the area can help sensation normalize faster if it is going to normalize, but will not help if the nerve does not recover. In women with hyper-sensitive nipples, this will go away with time in most cases. Usually 3 months or so. In the interim, I have them wear nipple covers or 'pasties' to protect them from rubbing. It is unlikely that down-sizing the implant will cause regaining sensation. Down-sizing the implant may cause saggy breasts, however, and may necessitate a breast lift. Physical therapy with de-sensitivity techniques can help with this issue. The Peri-areolar incision is associated with increased risk of nipple numbness due to the fact that the nerve is in close proximity.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Numbness 3 months after Augmentation

+1

Although the risk of permanent sensation loss is very low, it is possible to see temporary sensation changes that take 6-12 months to return.   I typically warn patients that the larger the implant that is placed, the higher the risk of sensation changes.     This is because the sensory nerve to the nipple and areola will be stretched by the implant.    The good news is that most cases stretch injury to the nerve results are temporary.
I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Numbness 3 Months after Breast Augmentation

+1

Numbness 3 months after breast augmentation does tend to improve over the course of a year and perhaps even 2 years.  For most patients, this is temporary, but there exists a small percentage of patients who may have permanent numbness.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

Numbness after breast augmentation

+1

Sometimes numbness occurs after breast augmentation.  Usually this is due to swelling and gets better as the swelling dissipates.

Numbness afetr breast augmentation

+1

Partial sensation loss is seen occasionally after breast surgery. This is due to sensory nerve injury that normally occurs during surgery. It takes time for nerve injury to heal. You can expect nerves to improve for up toma year after surgery. The discomfort you feel in the shower is also from the nerve which has become hypersensitive. That is good news, meaning the sensation is more likely to return early.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

Nerves take months to regenerate; you need to give your body time to heal. What you can do to help is gently message the breast with lotion to help break down scar tissue and help regenerate the nerves.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS