Numbness After Male Breast Reduction and Liposuction?

I recently went had Gynecomastia and Liposuction around the abs. Since waking up, I have been experiencing numbness in thumb, bottom of palm and tingling around the wrist.

The doctor said that it's most probably the pressure from the compression garment, however I still need to wear this and he suggested not wearing it so tight. So I haven't been wearing the compression garment very tight for the past 2 days but I am still experiencing the same problem. Any suggestions/advice?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Gynecomastia surgery-thumb numbness

+1

The most likely explanations are: 1.armpit swelling 2. compression from the garment 3.the arm position during surgery,This is usually a temporary conditions and should improve with time.Should it persist you can have neurological test that will show the reason of the problem and the the required treatment.

Garment could be triggering another issue

+2

Hi,

The garment may be causing increased swelling in your arms which could trigger the numbness in your thumb, palm, and around the wrist. The symptoms you described might also be characteristic of carpal tunnel or another nerve compression syndrome. If it is really bothering you and doesn't go away after you don't have to wear the garment anymore, then you may want to have a hand surgery specialist examine you.

Have a great day!

Carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms

+2

It is possible you are describing symptoms related to carpal tunnel syndrome. This could be easily treated with a cock-up splint at night or perhaps a steroid injection. If the symptoms persist enough to bother you, go see a hand surgeon for an evaluation. Increased swelling from the surgery and/or compression garment can trigger these symptoms.

Nerve compression symptoms

+2

Median nerve symptoms arise from compression or stretch or a physical direct injury. In your case the surgical field is far from the nerve course.This is usually good news ,as complete recovery is usually the case.

Compression or stretch could occur from compression of a garment or arm positionning or strapping during surgery. Elevation,splint at night and NSAI eg advil ,will help until it gets better. if the symptoms persist your surgeon will refer you for more evaluation. Best of luck!

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/gynecomastia/

Median Nerve Issues

+2

The areas that you are describing are supplied by the median nerve. This also gives sensation to the index, middle and the thumb side of the ring finger. It's the nerve that causes carpal tunnel syndrome. Patients who are boarder line for carpal tunnel can have symptoms with increased tissue swelling. In your case you may have some swelling in the arms from the garment causing the condition. Keeping the arms elevated while sleeping may help but so will time.

The other issue may be position during surgery. But regardless it will get better but just may take a while until the swelling is down.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

+1

The symptoms you are experiencing may be secondary to nerve compression, possibly secondary to a compression garment that is too tight. I would try loosening it around the axilla (armpit) and see if that doesn't help. If you find no alleviation, I would consult with your plastic surgeon for a further assessment.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Hand numbness after surgery

+1

sometimes during surgery the position in which your arms lie can sprain one or more nerves to your arms.  This is something that usually goes away on its own.  In some cases it could be 2-3 months and in extremely rare case it can be permanent.  It is unlikely that a short procedure such as gynecomastia surgery would produce any long-lasting problems in your arms

Numbness after male breast reduction via liposuction

+1

After liposuction of the chest, it is common for patients to have swelling, bruising, and even some numbness. However, these symptoms should resolve. If the patient has prolonged numbness or complete loss of sensation to the nipple, is a sign that one of nerves going to the nipple has been stretched or suffered. If the nerd has only been stretched, the sensation will eventually return. If the nerve has been severed however the sensation may be permanently gone.

Nerve compression

+1

The tingling that you are feeling may be due to nerve compression. This could be secondary to swelling, the garment tightness, or developing nerve compression symptoms from compression of the nerve at the level of the wrist or even in the neck.  You should be followed carefully by your doctor to see if this resolves or needs treatment.

Gynecomastia

+1

You may want to try to release the pressure along the armpit area to avoid constricting nerves in this area while maintaining pressure along the operative site to minimize fluid collection and bleeding.