Numbness to Bottom Lip 3 Years After Chin Implant

I had FFS in 2008 consisting of jaw and chin shaving and a then a chin implant. I had very poor movement in the bottom lip and chin area for 6 months after surgery.Now 3 years on i still have a soft numbness to my bottom lip area and sometimes movement isn't as fluid as it used to be but generally the effect looks very good, will my full feeling ever return ? and is there anything i can do to rectify this?

Numb lip 3 years after chin impalnt is likely permanent.

+2

The sensory nerve to this area is close to the area of your jaw surgery and implant placement, and this nerve can occasionally become injured in the course of the surgery. While this heals and recovers in most cases, some numbness can be complete and permanent, or partial. Each patient is unique, as is his or her healing.

The motor nerves for movement are entirely different nerves, but these can also be injured during the surgery. From your description, movement has returned to nearly normal, and after this length of time this is likely as good as it gets.

There is really nothing surgical that can be done (unless the implant is impinging on the sensory nerve, in which case repositioning can perhaps improve sensation), so testing of these nerves by a Neurologist via EMG study would likely yield only information that is interesting, but not likely to help with a decision to proceed with re-operation. Of course, there is that tiny chance that something might be done which could be of help, but I really don't want to give you false hope that there is anything possible other than what you have right now. SO sorry, but I am glad you like the overall effect despite these nagging issues.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/photogallery/chin-implant-augmentation-genioplasty-5906

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after chin implant

+2
Chin implants sit along the edge of the chin. However soft tissue swelling and scar tissue can put pressure on the nerves for sensation and muscle movement which lie along the edge of the jaw and front of the chin. After one year, soft tissue swelling and scar tissue should not increase so it is unlikely that you will get further recovery. However, all surgeons will agree that it is impossible to predict with 100% accuracy your personal recovery.
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness of Lower Lip 3 Yaears after Chin Implant

+1

Your swelling has resolved 3 years after chin surgery. If there was injury to the mental nerve, which supplies sensation to the lower lip, this change in feeling can be permanent. You need careful evaluation by your surgeon or a neurologist. If the implant is putting pressure on the nerve, repositioning the implant may be helpful.