Numbness and Tingling After a Chin Implant is This Normal?

Hi I am 5 days post op and i have numbness on the left side of my lip and chin. Is this normal? How long will it last? I am only 22 years old and i hate this feeling it is driving me crazy. Its all I think about and i hate to touch my face now. I called my doctor and he told me it was normal and he never had anyone with permeant numbness. I feel tingling at times and at other times i just feel numb. Should I remove the implant? Can anyone help me? Please I am really scared.

Paresthesia and numbness after chin implant

+1

It's not uncommon to experience some tingling and numbness after chin implant.  Typically this resolves very quickly as the swelling diminishes, but rarely can last weeks.  Removing it this early on would be rash and not advisable since the sensation is likely to normalize.  

Numbness and tingling after chin implant

+1

It is not abnormal to have some numbness and tingling 5 days after a chin implant. I would give it some time and see how you continue to heal. The numbness and tingling can persist for a few weeks. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

It is not at all unusual to have some temporary numbness and tingling of the lip or chin after chin augmentation with an implant.  As you are only 5 days after surgery, this issue should improve gradually over time.  It can take a several weeks for this feeling to dissipate.  I would not recommend removing the implant at this time because the problem will most likely resolve by itself.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after chin surgery

+1

The numbness and tingling will generally decrease over time.  You are very early in your post op period.  Be patient.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Numbness after chin implant

+1

Dear concerned,

Numbness after placement of a chin implant is quite common. It usually means that the nerve has been stretched and/or bruised from the procedure itself or the implant. The fact that you are feeling tingling at times on that side is very reassuring. It means that the nerve should soon return to normal function. It is akin to bumping your "funny bone" in your elbow--at first it is numb and then it starts to tingle before returning to normal. I agree with your surgeon in that it would be extremely uncommon to have permanent numbness and I would not consider removing the implant this soon after your procedure. Hope this helps.

Keith Ladner, MD
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon