Numbness After Chin Implant?

Hi, I had medepor cheek and chin implants 15 days ago. Initially I had alot of swelling and numbness on the left cheek, that now appears to be improving, I had very little swelling and numbness on the right side. I have VERY substantial numbness on the right side of my chin, although my lip is not at all affected, and I can for the most part smile and move my face normally. Is this numbness in the right side of my chin likely to be permanent?

My chin is numb after a chin implant

+1

The mental nerve is a sensory nerve that exits the mandible (jaw bone) on either side of the midline just to the side and above where a chin implant is placed. The result is that during the placement of a chin implant there can be stretching of the nerve and inflammation around the nerve that results in numbness. The sensation returns the majority of the time but it can take several months. I would be patient, compliant with your surgeons instructions and make sure to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing normally.

Management Of Numbness After Chin Implant

+1

It is not uncommon to have some mental nerve numbness after chin implant surgery, usually due to the stretching of the nerve rather than actual impingement or direct injury. The next few months should show a slow but steady improvement in the resolution of the numbness. If there is no change at all by 6 to 8 weeks after surgery, consideration should be given to re-eploration to be certain that the nerve is not under any compression by the implant.

Web reference: http://www.eppleychinaugmentation.com/

Numbness 2 Weeks After A Chin Implant Is Most Likely Temporary

+1

I am sorry you are having numbness after your chin implant.  There are nerves in the area, mental nerves, that supplies sensation to the chin.  If these nerves are stretched or bruised during the procedure, then temporary numbness of the chin can occur.  This will get better over weeks to a few months.

The implant may be impinging on the nerve.  This can also cause numbness.  If that is the reason, then it may be best to move the implant into a better position.  

The nerve could of been directly damaged during the procedure.  If this is the case, it may take a long time for the sensation to come back (6-15 months) or there is a risk that it may not come back.  

Your surgeon will be able to give you a good idea what to expect as he is the only one who knows the details of your surgery.

I hope this helps!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon