Numbness After Chin Implant/platysmaplasty/liposuction?

Had procedure 7 days ago - very happy with it! But have total numbness in chin and right lower lip. If I tap on the right side of my chin I feel electrical shocks. From what I've read on here, the numbness is normal only if you had the implant placed via the incision behind the lip, but mine was placed by chin incision. Most of the doctors seem to be saying there should be no numbness if you place the implant via the chin incision. Should I be concerned?

Chin Augmentation Numbness

+1

Complications and side effects are very uncommon with chin augmentation of which the most likely side effect is altered sensation or numbness in the chin and lower jaw, called neuropraxia, which may be temporary or permanent depending on the extent of the surgery. It can occur using both incision locations. Typically this resolves within several months to a year. The wierd sypmtoms you described may actually be sign that your nerves are knitting back together. I suspect you will have a full recovery.A plastic surgeon will be able to tell you if you are at particular risk for this type of side effect at time of consultation.

Numbness After a Chin Implant

+1

It is common to have transient numbness after a chin implant.  This is typically due to stretching or a bruise of the nerve in the area (mental nerve).  Over a few weeks, the sensation should resume to normal.  If it does not continue to improve, I would have it evaluated.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after Chin Implant

+1

This is usually transient whether placed through an intraoral incision or a submental incision.  Followup with your plastic surgeon for reassurance and an exam.

Mental Nerve Compression After Chin Implant Placement ??

+1

Most likely you just have temporary numbness from dissection around the mental nerve on that side. However it is also likely that the tail of the chin implant may be malpositioned and  pushing up against the bony exit of the mental nerve. This is suggested by the positive Tinel's sign that you have on that side. (tapping with shooting pain) Such implant malpositioning is most common on the right side because most surgeons are right-handed and it is easy to have the tunnel made for the wings of the implant to angle too far upwards on the right side. Quire frankly I would be more concerned about the latter than the former at this point. If you do show significant improvement in these nerve symptoms in the next few weeks, you may need to consider checking the position of the tails of the implant to ensure that you do not cause permanent nerve injury due to compression. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Numbness From Mental Nerve Bruising

+1

Thank you for your question. The numbness you are experiencing is from bruising of one of the mental nerve branches that give senstion to the lower lip.  The nerve was likely bruised during placement of the chin implant.  In the vast majority of cases this type of injury recovers quite unventfully after several months.  It is a known risk of this procedure as the traction from the dissection and the location of the implant can affect the nerve.  I recommend monitoring it with your surgeon until it gets better.  It should not keep you from enjoying the results of your procedure. Best wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after chin implant

+1

Glad to hear you are pleased with your result! It is still very soon after your procedure, and not uncommon to have some numbness. I would recommend following up with your surgeon regarding any immediate post-operative concerns, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and good luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Numbness after chin implant

+1

One of the potential risks of chin augmentation with an implant is numbness.  This can occur whether the implant is placed under the chin or through the mouth.  In most cases, the numbness is temporary, but rarely, it can be permanent.  Since you had the procedure only a week ago, I would give it some more time.  You should also follow up with your surgeon so that your progress can be monitored.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon